Fate, or Alternatively Violet Bridgerton

Season 1 Episode 1 - Diamond of the First Water

Beatrice found herself eating high tea with the Bridgerton family and Simon. Lady Danbury had decided to accept Beatrice's invitation to join the group on her behalf. She likely would have accepted anyways due to her newfound friendship with Daphne, but the woman was still rather vexed since she would have to spend the evening with Anthony Bridgerton. She would simply have to ignore the man. Although, that would be quite difficult seeing as he was seated right beside her. Beatrice would have much preferred to sit at the opposite end of the table with Daphne and Simon. But alas fate, or alternatively Violet Bridgerton, had other ideas.

Beatrice was rather glad that she was also seated beside Eloise Bridgerton. Despite only just meeting the girl, Beatrice believed she was one of the most tolerable Bridgerton's she had been acquainted with. She had not yet had the opportunity to properly speak to Eloise though, since the entire table was involved in a lengthy discussion regarding Lady Whistledown.

"For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury of all places" Anthony commented. A hint of judgement could be detected in his tone.

"What should be so terrible about Bloomsbury?" Benedict asked. "Is it because people there actually work for a living?"

Stopping to consider Anthony's suggestion for a moment, Daphne tried to justify it. "She does seem to be someone with access".

"Who knows if Whistledown is even a she?" Colin questioned.

"Well the clue is in the name. Lady Whistledown is surely a lady" Beatrice argued. Despite her lack of care for the writer, even she inferred that from her name.

"Fair point Colin" Anthony stated, not even acknowledging Beatrice. She found this to be rather discourteous seeing as she was a guest in his household. Anthony however did not care for pleasantries when Beatrice was involved. He had chosen to disregard the woman, for he was sure that if he spoke to her, an argument would occur.

"Oh, because she is simply too good to be anyone but a man?" Beatrice nodded along as Eloise spoke, misogyny was clearly the third guest at the table.

"I think it rather obvious that the writer is Lady Danbury." Francesca theorised.

Daphne quickly dismantled that idea. "Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly. She would never bother herself writing them all down."

Another idea was added into the mix, this time by Hyacinth, the youngest of the family. "Could it be Lady Featherington?"

As if they were a well-rehearsed choir, the entire family replied in synchrony "No!" They all chuckled slightly, amused at the girls answer and her subsequent reaction to their sudden answer.