The Worst Fate

Season 1 Episode 5: The Duke And I

With two ices placed on his table, Prince Friedrich sat alone in Gunter's Tea Shop. After hearing the news of Daphne Bridgerton's engagement he had decided to return to Prussia the next day. However, before he left, he wanted to bid farewell to Beatrice. During his time in London the woman had been a dear friend to him and he could not, in good conscience, leave without speaking with her.

So, the night before he tasked one of his servants to deliver an invitation to the woman. Having not received a response, he did not even know if she would attend, but he awaited her arrival nonetheless.

Checking his pocket watch, Friedrich noted that Beatrice was already ten minutes late. As he was beginning to lose hope of her attending, believing she may have had prior engagements, the door of the shop opened. In walked Beatrice Sinclair, her eyes darting around the room, searching each table for the prince. Once she had spotted Friedrich, her face lit up and she rushed towards his table.

As she reached the chair opposite him, she dramatically lowered herself into the seat. "Forgive my tardiness, Friedrich, I was asleep when your invitation arrived yesterday so I was only made aware of it this morning."

Friedrich nodded, assuming that was the case. "There is no need for you to apologise Beatrice. If anything, I should be the one apologising to you, I am aware my request was rather last minute."

"Well, if you are willing to take the blame, I shall gladly give it to you." She jested. "But earnestly, how are you? I know you were fond of Daphne."

Friedrich sent his friend a sad smile. "I am as well as I can be. Truthfully, I did not love her, but I would have been content with her as my wife. I cannot see any other match for me in London, at present. That is why I invited you here today; I am to return to Prussia this afternoon."

"So soon?" Beatrice asked, the joy leaving her face. "I had imagined that you would return home, but I expected you to stay for a short while longer."

"I believe it is best for me to leave now. Daphne and the duke are to be married soon and I would not wish to impose on their wedding."

Beatrice nodded, beginning to eat the ice that was placed in front of her. "I understand. Do not allow yourself to feel too wounded by Daphne's choice, any woman would be lucky to have you as their husband. I have no doubt that you will quickly find yourself a wife in Prussia."

"That is no surprise, most mamas would be overjoyed if their daughter were to marry a Prince." Friedrich responded dejectedly. He wanted more than just any woman, he wanted a wife who would appreciate him for his character. "My time in London has made me realise that I want more than just contentment and convenience, I wish to find love. If it were not for that I would consider asking you to be my wife, although I know you would never accept. Be sure you only marry for love, Beatrice."