Confounded by Him

Season 1 Episode 2 - Shock and Delight

There will forever be just two
words that come to this author's mind
the morning after any good party,
shock and delight. Well dear reader,
the scandalous accounts from last
night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite
shocking and delightful indeed.

In the wake of the previous night's events, Beatrice found herself strolling in a park with her mother, Lady Danbury and Simon. The four basked in the early morning breeze and the silence the park brought, for most of the ton were still asleep.

As they passed by the edge of the lake, Beatrice bent down slightly, allowing her fingertips to glide underneath the cool water. Although, upon realising that the group had continued on without her, she swiftly arose from her position. She briskly strode over to the three, not wanting to be left behind. Squeezing between the two women of the group, Beatrice looped her arms around theirs.

It seemed that before she had returned a new conversation regarding Simon and Daphne had begun. For Lady Danbury was bombarding the man with questions about her. "Do tell me Simon, has Daphne Bridgerton won your heart?"

"It was just one dance Agatha." Simon replied shortly, reluctant to discuss the ruse that was his and Daphne's courtship.

"I quite remember it being two dances actually." A knowing look formed on Agatha's face as she winked at the only man present.

"Fine. It was two dances. But you can hardly suggest that two dances with a woman could win one's heart."

"It is rather the nature of those dances that have astonished me. You never were the sort to dance with a lady of your own free will. Yet there you were initiating a dance with Miss Bridgerton, not once but twice. And you will be promenading with her not 24 hours later. If she has not won your heart, then you have surely lost your mind."

Allowing Simon and Agatha to continue their conversation, Esther quietly spoke to Beatrice. "It seems that I should have attended Vauxhall last night after all. I cannot believe that I have missed what seems to be the most alluring event of the season."

"Well, it certainly was unexpected." Beatrice whispered back to her mother. "I did not anticipate that match occurring, although I am relieved that Daphne has met a gentleman worthy enough of her hand."

"Did you not think to notify your dear mother of the news?" Esther jested, gently nudging her daughter with her elbow. "To think if we were not to have met with the Duke and Lady Danbury today, I may have been left in the dark."

"Mother I am sure you would have discovered the news very shortly with the way the Ton gossips. Although truthfully, I did not believe you would care to know. As you always say, high society is very much below you." Beatrice mocked her mother's voice, remembering how she would always complain when having to attend the social season's events each year.