You Believe Me To Be Ravishing?

Season 1 Episode 4 - An Affair Of Honour

As we all know, there is nothing
this author loves more than a scandal,
and tonight's soirée promises more
than its fair share, courtesy of the
recently widowed Lady Trowbridge.
Some may call her celebrations too
provocative, and I would caution any
young lady from getting caught up in
the sensual nature of her fêtes.
For one scandalous move between an
unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven
forbid, a kiss, would banish any
young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

Despite Lady Trowbridge's soirée only just beginning, Anthony Bridgerton already found himself to be rather bored of the festivities. He stood, glass in hand, observing the people around him. Many members of the ton had taken to the dance floor, yet he had no intention of joining them. Dancing had always been a task that he had not found enjoyment in, especially when it was with debutantes. Sure, he revelled in it when his siblings were involved, but he hated the prying eyes of the ton and having to avoid the advances of ladies who wished to be his viscountess.

Another person who appeared to despise dancing was Beatrice Sinclair. She too loved to engage in the activity with her loved ones, however she had no desire to dance with anyone else. In fact, she attempted to refrain from dancing during high society events as she knew this was opening up an invitation for any bachelor to ask her to take to the floor with him.

As the pair stood, almost opposite one another in the room, their eyes met. The usual hostility was not present between the two, as if they had forgotten who they were looking at. Instead they maintained eye contact, not being able to will themselves to look away.

Noticing her son's distracted state, Violet Bridgerton decided to introduce him to a debutante she believed to be suitable for him. Holding onto the girl's arm, she walked over to him, calling out his name. "Anthony. Anthony." She repeated, finally gaining his attention.

"This is Miss Addington, the Earl of Lindsay's niece." She stated as the girl bowed her head to Anthony.

He, however, barely noticed her. After casting a quick glance at her, his gaze turned to the bottom of his glass.

"Pleasure." He shortly replied, having no desire to speak to the girl.

Violet turned to Miss Addington, addressing her with a smile. "There, you see?" She had obviously been planning the interaction.

Watching this had promptly soured Beatrice's mood. Yet she did not know why. Perhaps she just found it rather irritating that a man as egotistical as Anthony Bridgerton could make any woman swoon without even batting an eyelid towards her. The way the girl, who seemed rather insignificant to Beatrice, had giggled from having a single interaction with him had severely aggravated her. But that was because of the ridiculousness of high society, right?