Love is of No Concern to Me

Season 1 Episode 1 - Diamond of the First Water

Entering Hyde Park, Beatrice took a moment to view her surroundings. The lake that laid a short distance away from her captured her attention first. Many wooden boats lined it's riverbank, ready to be used by their respective owners. Despite their similarities, each boat was vastly different. For some seemed to be small enough to fit only one person, whilst others claimed to hold extravagant parties over the water. The boats with canopies paraded a variety of colours. From black to yellow, a rainbow of shades could be seen atop the still blue water. Trees too lined the water banks with brown trunks cascading into small branches. Small branches progressing into mature, olive green leaves. The sight was certainly one to behold. If this was only one park London had to offer, Beatrice would rather enjoy exploring the rest.

After strolling around the park for a short while, Beatrice spotted Matilda sat on a bench near the water. She began the journey to her friend, offering a short wave when Matilda noticed her presence nearby. When reaching the bench, the two women properly greeted one another. They embraced in a tight hug, proclaiming how much they missed each other in the process.

Once they had finally pulled away and sat down, a conversation had begun. "I know it only has been just shy of a week, but I have missed you dearly Tilly. So very much has happened and I do not believe there are enough hours in the day to explain it all to you."

"We shall have to be brief then. My week has merely consisted of entertaining incredibly drab suitors. Mother insists I appear to be desirable so should the right man see me, he shall not be deterred by my favour lacking challenge. Although it is rather difficult for me to believe that any man will see those dim-witted fools as a challenge." Matilda rolled her eyes as she finished her sentence. She was completely and utterly exhausted from the many meaningless conversations she had suffered that week. In fact she did not even attend the opera in fear that one the men would accost her there too. "I do hope yours has been more exhilarating than mine."

Beatrice cleared her throat and moved the few strands of hair that had fallen on her face out of her eye-line. Clasping her hands back over her legs, she began to recount her week. "I too shall remain concise for much has occurred this week. After I last saw you I had four callers. They were all rather dull, except a certain Lord Blackmore."

Matilda shifted slightly in her seat, the odd feeling she had felt at the ball returning as she listened to her friend discussing the man. She could not help to feel as though she was an awful friend, for she was acting so ridiculously over a man who she had never even spoken to. Yet she could not shake the feeling of hurt in her heart.

"Isn't that so admirable Tilly" Beatrice said. This statement was the first thing Matilda registered after hearing Lord Blackmore's name.