Where He Belonged

Season 1 Episode 3: Art of the Swoon

Beatrice entered the next ball of the season with Esther. Earlier that day, Esther had declared to her children that she would accompany Beatrice to the event. After being so oblivious to the talk of the Ton, she was determined to uncover the gossip for herself. Even if that meant having to converse with the unbearable mamas for the evening.

Peter swooped over to the women as they entered the room, greeting the pair. "Good evening, Miss Sinclair, Lady Sinclair."

"Good evening, Peter." Beatrice replied. She searched the room for Matilda but could not spot her. She had come to the ball with one goal, to encourage her two dearest friends to court one another.

"Hello Lord Blackmore. Should I prepare for you to steal my daughter away from me?" Esther jested, causing her daughter to send her a displeased look. "Well Beatrice, I would like some advanced warning so I can prepare myself to consort with others."

"I am sure you will live, mother." Beatrice sassed at the woman. "You act as though you are being sent to battle. All you must do is chatter to the mamas of the Ton."

Esther sent her a sharp look, displeased with her impertinence. "Yes, yes dear. You must be kind to your poor mother. We have company. I am sure Lord Blackmore does not wish to hear you berate me all night."

Peter chuckled. He had been rather enjoying the display before him. "I can assure you, Lady Sinclair, I am quite used to hearing Beatrice's opinions."

"Ah well, I suppose I shall pity you then." Esther retorted. "Since you shall be the one spending the evening with her."

Secretly, she was rather happy that Lord Blackmore did not mind Beatrice's jesting. Although she promised to not pressure her daughter into marriage, it was the path Esther hoped Beatrice would follow. Esther knew the nature of true love and hoped that both her children would be able to experience it in their lifetimes. Despite her knowing that true love was missing between the pair before her, she believed love could grow between them, in time. And she hoped that in the absence of true love, her children would find some romantic love in their future partners.

"Who is being insolent now, mother?" Beatrice asked, sending Esther a patronising look.

Esther ignored her question, instead addressing Peter. "Will you ask my daughter to dance or shall I have to spend my entire night being pestered by her?" She asked the man in jest.

"Of course, Lady Sinclair. Beatrice, would you do me the honour of being my first dance of the evening?" Peter bowed his head slightly to the woman before him.