The Arrogance of Stars

"Rin? Hey, Rin, are you paying attention?"

"Huh? Oh, right. Sorry, I zoned out."

"Again?" Anne huffed. "It's quite rude to Sir Isaac and White, you know."

"Rin did have a habit of doing that, all the way since we were kids."

We technically still were kids, but sure.

"At this rate, we weren't going to finish the homework we got together to do!" Anne pouted.

Right. That was the reason why we had gathered in such a strange group. Well, the three of us anyway. Not sure why Isaac was here, but male leads did have a habit of showing up wherever the heroine was.

"Ah, that reminds me. I was quite occupied with Annette's arithmetic problem that I had forgotten by original purpose. I had meant to act as a messenger."

"A message? From who?" Anne tilted her head.

"No one in particular. I had merely caught wind of it while attending training, but I figured this piece of news was something everyone ought to know. Not due to any malicious gossip, no, but perhaps out of concern for the individual in question. After all, no matter our various thoughts on her, everyone here shares a degree of connection with her."

"Her?"

News sure do spread fast.

"Lady Elizabeth Bathory. Or should I say...Duchess Bathory," Isaac straightened his shirt with a degree of discomfort. "The good lady's father had passed away a few days ago."

Anne, like the good natured person she was, gasped out of horror, "That's...that's horrible."

Not going to say anything, White? I've always thought you had beef with her.

"Dare I say, pity is the last thing she expects from anyone," Isaac said something that would normally be rude, but everyone understood the meaning behind his words.

"You're right. She's a very strong person. Still, to take over an entire duchy at this age. It's Elizabeth we're talking about, but still, can she handle it?"

"Less of handle, and perhaps more of improve on," a fifth individual entered the conversation. "Apologies. I was merely passing by, but I couldn't help to join in on the conversation."

A troublesome individual had arrived to make things rather complicated.

"We are honored by your presence, princess," Sir Isaac bowed to Chloe, inspiring us to do the same.

"Improve on...?" White tilted his head.

"Many things were done upon his death. A complete reorganization, so to speak. To say she was prepared for the role isn't an exaggeration."

Chloe's words were accusatory, yet she refused to elaborate on her intended meaning, leaving up to us to interpret its meaning.

"What are you suggesting...?" Annette, rightfully, was horrified by Chloe's words. "Your Highness, are those words truly...?"

"They are the words of the royal family. Although it is not official yet, but it will be our stance. Elizabeth Bathory, the gods praise her name, will be a brilliant successor of the house that had served this nation so faithfully. There is no objection to her worthiness, be it aptitude or blood. Let it be known that none shall question her de jure claim over the Bathory Duchy."

"I...see."

Chloe smiled weakly, before taking on a much gentler tone, "While it is the will of my family, I am still a person after all. The following is not spoken by the princess, after all, how could she? It would be impossible for the princess to say such things. It is merely said by someone called Chloe."