First of Her Name

"The capital looks the same as ever."

Gentle summer, dancing leaves. Children were frolicking about in the streets, without a single care in the world. The markets were stocked with produce, and everyone had their fill. It was as close to paradise as one could get, at least in this miserable world.

I received an inquiring gaze, so I explained further, "The war has not touched this place."

"Isn't that a good thing, Lady Elizabeth?" the knight trainee tilted his head.

"It is as you say, Sir Isaac. I suppose, I had grown accustomed to handling the war."

"It's been barely two weeks since the start of your campaign."

"Yet it felt like a life time, hm?"

Isaac shrugged, "Perhaps. I'm sure the citizens are just happy there isn't the usual tax hike to fund the yearly war."

"This summer's festival will be quite the lively one, wouldn't it, then?"

"I'm sure it will."

How tiring. To begin with, I had no intention of celebrating another festival. I had too many things to take care of after taking over my late father, but that air headed princess just had to drag me into this ceremony. I couldn't exactly turn down a request from the royal family, so I was stuck with this rather irritating job.

"In fact, I reckon the palace will be quite lively with your arrival."

I furrowed my brows, uncertain of Isaac's implication, "That so?"

"It certainly is one way of grabbing attention," Isaac smiled nervously.

What in the world was he talking about...Oh.

My thoughts trailed off as I followed his gaze, finding myself staring at my rather crude outfit. Gah! I had completely forgotten about this! I was so used to strutting around in this clothing that I had forgotten it wasn't something to wear to official business!

I had chosen this because I was moving around in the field a lot, but thick leather boots wasn't something normally worn to the court, if at all. If only that was the worst part about my outfit...I wasn't one to enjoy the stuffiness of court politics, but I didn't enjoy dealing with the mess of stepping out of line either. It was much easier to just follow tradition and keep my head down.

Even though I quite enjoyed wearing this expedition outfit, it was certainly bound to draw whispers and rumors. It was made for practicality and ease of movement in mind, not flashiness. I probably look like a run of the mill explorer, if not for the sigil of my house and my fancy blade. Such a dull outfit was certainly no place to be worn in court, even just considering the offense the monarch might take.

I clicked my tongue, "I would like to see those fancy ladies ride a horse with a dress."

It really was difficult learning to ride a horse, even if it was an incredibly disciplined warhorse!

"You didn't mention my choice of outfit when we were traveling here?" we were essentially at the palace front gates, Isaac!

"I had assumed it was some sort of scheme," Isaac shrugged. "Is it not?"

I was merely too used to wearing this outfit! You were the one overthinking things! Did I really look like the kind of person to...Well, I suppose Elizabeth Bathory was that sort of person. Not my point!

"Well, it's too late to change now."

It was problematic, however.

"If you say so."