Amusing Madness

My name is Isaac, a proud son of the prestigious Vander family. Along with the Le Guin family, my house is the protector of the Kingdom, boasting a lineage that cultivated warriors of legend. Although the Vanders and Le Guins have long competed for the top spot for martial prowess, the two schools have no doubt held a permanent spot in fame and strength across the continent.

However, there was a third school that not many know of in the Kingdom. Mainly because it's one that traced its routes back to the Sakura Empire, but nevertheless, the Vanders have long considered practitioners of said school to be honorable opponents.

While the name and current headmaster of that school were shrouded in mystery, one was able to recognize the style by the distinct choice of weaponry.

Namely, two curved single edged swords. It was a mysterious technique, yet wielders of that style would dance with two blades as if they were but one. Although their individual strikes were light and but a mere annoyance, they overwhelmed the opponent with grace and precision.

Traits which I expected the least from a frail little girl who appeared she would crumble under just a slight weight.

She carried around two swords, which I had assumed it was for a delivery. Young girls were used as runners all the time. All they had to do was carry items, so it wasn't terribly difficult or dangerous for even young girls.

Yet, when her life—no, when my life was in danger—she did not hesitate. It was a brief display of finesse on her part, but her craft was demonstrated with grace. However, as soon as that battle was over, she soon reverted to her usual meek demeanor.

"I...I really just want to find myself a room..." she murmured under her breath as she trudged along behind me.

What an odd individual. Despite possessing such strength, at least relatively so, the individual that introduced herself as Rin appeared rather...lethargic. She strode around with the energy of a snail, but could swing two swords around with the vigor of a demon. It's...bizarre, honestly.

It was as if she put in every ounce of effort into learning this craft, yet at the same time it seemed as if Rin did not enjoy "living" at all. If someone failed to enjoy a particular thing, it would show through from their mediocrity.

However, it was twisted for Rin. She was talented, and she clearly cared about her ability. Yet, it almost seemed like she was being forced to do so...

"Where do you hail from, Miss Rin?"

"Eastward," she replied simply. "The Sakura Empire."

"You have traveled far," I commented. "In the current political climate, no less."

"I was invited here on a scholarship..." her voice grew softer as her words continued.

"For your martial talent, I assume? That's impressive."

At first I had my suspicions, since Ouroboros Academy was quite expensive to attend, even for noble standards. However, it made a lot more sense now that I had seen her talent firsthand.

Still, that didn't take away her merit. It was incredibly difficult to obtain a scholarship, even for capable individuals. I had tried my hand at it, and only obtained a partial scholarship. For this poverty stricken girl, she must be hiding quite the amount of skills beneath her belt.

"Where are we going...? I hope it isn't terribly far. I still haven't had a proper meal ever since that stupid..." she trailed off, seemingly interrupted by a sudden onslaught of headaches.

"I assure you, it isn't what I had said before. I might have been a bit too excited back there. Nevertheless, you are a crucial eye witness to that...relic hunter."

Admittedly, I still wanted to spar with her. I suppose that had to wait. She appeared rather exhausted, after all.

"Relic hunter, huh," of all the things to grab her attention, that term caused her gaze to sharpen considerably.

"How difficult," she grumbled.

"How so?" I tilted my head curiously. 

Rin blinked rapidly, then shook her head and hands defensively, "Uh, I mean...it's nothing important! I just thought the trip was going to take awhile, that's all!"

An laudable warrior she may be, but was certainly a terrible liar.

"You're quite the interesting girl," I blurted out my inner thoughts with a chuckle.

She whispered in a rather low voice, but I still managed to grasp enough words to make our her sentences, "Lords above. We haven't even started this whole mess, and you want to me to deal with the initiation to the third route already? The script! What about the script!?"

She must spent a considerable amount of time alone, for anyone would have told her about her tendency to talk absurdities.

I wasn't going to be the first to do so, though. What? For one thing, it was certainly amusing. She spoke nonsense, but it was enjoyable to watch her face contort into several dozen different expressions as she complained about something I knew absolutely nothing of.

"Isaac, this is all hypothetical speech, so don't mind it too much, okay? But, if one day you had to kill me, please do it quickly, alright?"

"I don't see a need to take your life, but by all means, I shall entertain your request if it ever comes down to it," I responded, holding back laughter.

What a baffling girl. Still...

I would be a fool if I were to just pass her off as a clueless girl with a respectable degree of strength. I have my suspicions, but it's nothing concrete for now.

 Nevertheless, it was undeniable a relic hunter of all things attacked us. A creature whose only goal was to seek out treasure bearers, an abomination spawned from the remains of the slain demon god.

Perhaps a fluke? It does happen. However, to attack her with such certainty and ferocity, while ignoring any blows that I delivered to it? Then there's its retreat. If she truly did hold a treasure, why would the hunter fall back? It was not as if that wound I dealt was anywhere close to fatal. Was Rin perhaps not a user? Or simply not big enough of a threat?

Truly intriguing. If I were to take His Highness' advice to heart, then...

An watchful eye should be placed on foreigners with the potential to hold treasures.