When In Doubt, Have Someone Die

To amend that sentence, it would be "have someone die for absolutely no purpose at all while causing everyone additional trouble".

Such were the wise words of a certain terrible writer.

Well, it was not like I didn't see this coming. I saw this coming from a mile away, and perhaps several leagues further than that. 

Okay, fine. I admit this was at the back of my head the entire time. I've only remembered this in recent days, and never could find a way to stop it.

Still, was this really the best solution?

That was the thought I had while I laughed at the absurdity and lack of comedic value of this event. I never could come to a conclusion, really.

Ahem. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's begin at the very start of this troublesome affair, shall we?

***

Hello there, everyone. My name is Elizabeth Bathory. Or Rin Akagi. You may refer to me as either, since the memories of my previous name has gotten rather foggy by now. I prefer to use Rin recently, since it was easier on my sanity.

Anyway, it's been several years since we last met. At least, several years to me. Must have been just a few days for you readers, hm?

Yes, I was five now. An age where I should just about start making friends. Rin did so already, so I was much more worried for Elizabeth...despite being me.

More importantly, the things I have discovered over the years have led me to a rather odd worry, you see. It wasn't anything too alarming, but the implications could complicate depending on the situation.

Specifically, I did have a single psyche, or consciousness, in control. That was already established. However, when it came to the mind, it was quite the complex issue.

Would it make more sense if I called it "brain" instead? Well, the discovery started small. Something like first walking upright at different ages for the two bodies. No biggie, I had thought. It was obvious that the body would develop differently.

However, as the months, and later years, flew by, I noticed a peculiar trait that I would have shrugged it off normally, if I was just a normal individual. That trait was... "instinct", for a lack of a better term. Let's start with an example.

When I conversed with others as Rin, the Elizabeth side of me would often ponder about such conversations as a sort of backup processor, considering the latter's body had massive amounts of free time.

However, what I noticed was that if most of my consciousness was concentrated around Elizabeth's environment, Rin's responses wouldn't match up with the planned responses I had in mind.

Now, it was certainly a different matter if I was responding to said conversation while focusing on Rin's situation, and my thoughts would line up easily with the words that exited my mouth.

In other words, some degree of psychological influence was present. An instinct developed from interacting with the environment. Something that was special to each body.

Upon this discovery, being me, I of course freaked out about the fact that I was developing borderline personality disorder, and caused quite the trouble for Lily. Well, don't be upset now, readers. You didn't miss anything important. I did say this was a minor detail, didn't I?

The key here, I realized, was that it was merely "instinct", and not "consciousness". It was something that automatically filled in for me if I didn't manually enter a reply in a specific body of mine.