Back To Back

I have always thought arriving via the ceiling was somewhat of a dramatic and cool entrance, yet I could not help but to wonder about the logistics of such an act once I actually saw it happen.

For one thing, why go through so much effort collapsing the entire roof if one could just blow down the doors and windows? Or even just hide in the basement before storming the hall? Even if the roof wasn't hard brick slabs, shattered glass still could kill, for both the potential tasty captives or the ones landing on the broken glass.

Well, I could afford to make these inane observations only because I had a superb bodyguard. I have absolutely no idea where Lily kept all her strange little gadgets, but she managed to pull out an umbrella and deflected all the stray shards. I have no idea what kind of fabric was used to make that thing to withstand the constant barrage of glass, but at this point I really didn't want to ask.

Lily had changed a lot from since when I was younger...Mostly stronger, though. Only the strong were capable of doing absurd things without batting an eye.

"What do you think?" I tilted my head as I stared at the panicking crowd.

"Personally, my lady, I don't believe it's the relic hunters as you have described," Lily continued calmly even as all the lights shattered, plunging the party into a noisy darkness. "They're a bit too intelligent and coordinated."

"It wouldn't be, huh. It wouldn't be..."

"That, of course, does not deny the possibility of a connection. Things would be otherwise too convenient," Lily spoke both our thoughts.

Troublesome, troublesome!

Of course you could say that from way up there, Elizabeth me! You weren't the one who was brawling with multiple of these intruders!

"Anne, get down!" I forcefully pushed Annette under a table at a corner, before blockading the only way out with heavy planks. "I'll come get you later, okay? Stay there and keep quiet."

"What? What's happening, Rin? I..." hard to blame her for her fear, she was just a child after all...

"It's going to be alright, I promise. It'll be like a passing nightmare. I'll come back soon, so just hang in there, okay?" I did my best to comfort her, but I doubt Annette was that naive.

After all, it truly was an insane sight to see your friend draw her weapons and head straight towards the vortex of the crisis.

However, this had to be done. I knew this was coming eventually, but the details were still largely in my hands. For a story that has yet to approach full swing, I was in charge of assuring its course will not sway.

For that reason, I could not take any chances. This event was remembered as a tragedy that marked the disappearance of several children born of nobility, all presumed kidnapped by an organization for some foul plan of theirs. It was a fate that was as good as death...or so it was said.

As if possessing the ability to sense the future, I shifted my entire weight onto a single foot. With a second thought put into it, I swung one of my blades around as forcefully as I could. The blade that scraped against mine seemed to physically recoil, as if the owner was greatly surprised at my miraculous parry.

I would be too, if a silent strike of mine under the cover of poor lighting was able to be sensed. Normally, there was no possible way for me to see this coming. However, a magic user was currently providing overwatch on the balcony above.

"...That child again," my loyal servant mused, rather uncharacteristically at that. "Often times, I wonder how she still lives. Against all odds, she carries on."