Things Will Get Better, I Promise

A dreadful silence shrouded the venue, causing me to choke on the oppressive air despite my accurate predictions on the matter. Well, this was what you get for playing with fire, father.

"What is the meaning of this!?" no, even if you say that, father...

"Oh my..." the shock was a bit too much for even the other nobles to crack a snide remark.

Father snatched away the gem in my palm, before shouting at the treasure, "Answer me, Ifrit!"

A booming voice rose from the gem, with a tone of neither mocking nor disappoint, "Isn't it obvious, descendant of Bathory? Your daughter does not fulfill the terms of our contract."

"How can she not!? She is my own flesh and blood!"

"Have you forgotten? It is common that us spirits will serve your descendants, but we ultimately pick our masters," at the very least, the spirit confirmed that I was indeed father's biological daughter. "As it stands, there is another present that is more worthy of my services."

Such is the fate of the heroine, after all.

Ah...I could already hear him call. From within Rin me's mind, a voice reached out to me. Beckoning me towards the room full of people, it was a voice that was filled with a frightening power, but at the same time a reassuring tone.

Come, soon to be contractor of mine. Come to me.

"What's going on with all that shouting down there?" Shiro squeezed against me as he tried to peek through the small slit, which had a view of the ballroom below.

Come...your destiny awaits.

I sure as hell didn't like my destiny. If I go down there...people will die. That was something fated to happen. But if I didn't...well, I wouldn't go as far as to say everyone in the neighboring country will die. However, the possibility was undeniable.

Was I afraid of killing these people? No, not really. Was I against it? Well, a bit. I wasn't that squeamish around death, considering I had my guts blown out by a truck, but I sure as heck kept my morals.

If I didn't have to kill, then I won't. If there was a valid reason for me to do so, then I shall. This world was not the same as the previous. This land was much more violent, and trying to impose my level of common sense here was just asking for it. Even so, if murdering wasn't necessary, it was best to not employ it. For the sake of my sanity, and more importantly for the sake of ethics.

So this was the problem here. Was killing alright in this scenario? I know I will get away scot-free in terms of the law, but ethically...Well, let's just say they had to die if I wanted to keep the routes the same.

"Hey, Rin. What do you think they're doing? It seems a lot of them are getting worked up," Shiro murmured.

I'm really sorry, Shiro. However, I can't entertain you any longer. Because...I had to do the work of a heroine. I'm afraid that knowing the future wasn't all mighty. No, correction, knowing the future once wasn't all mighty. I cannot change fate if I want to keep everyone alive, Shiro. Well, in the end, this is a comedy, so don't get too worried. I'm sure things will be fine, Shiro.

Because, all of this was just to spite the villainess. To give her the most tragic backstory ever, all the while fitting a motive of revenge into such a reasoning of her personality. For such a warm hearted otome game, I expected some sort of gag, writers of the scenario! Well, too late to complain now.

If anything, this was a bit too unfair to the villainess, wasn't it? Even though majority of the game was and most likely will continue to be light hearted, but what the heck is with this treatment!? Unfair, I say! Unfair!