Familiar Suggestions

The red hair damned me. That was something that I was certain of, just not the specifics. For the individual who came before me, she perhaps understood more of what I was supposed to do, in the sense of being cursed with red hair. Who was I referring to? Well...

"You seem quite confident in your abilities, Rin."

"Not at all..." I laughed nervously as I was confronted in an one on one session.

"If that's the case, then why were you dozing off in my class?"

It was somewhat nostalgic, in a way. The nagging of teachers was somewhat irritating, yet at some point I grew to miss it when I became older. Yet...this situation was much different.

Before me was an individual that shouldn't be a teacher or instructor. A person who, all things considered, shouldn't even exist in this world. Then again, her lack of existence could be considered an omission of truth rather than a lie on the developers' part.

That being said. That being said!!! This was ridiculous! I put her off and avoided discussing her for as long as I could, but there was no avoiding someone like her!

The braided blazing red hair, a color that was not unlike mine, was normally an oddity and perhaps a freakish trait among humans of this world, but for those who knew legends and myths, it was nothing but the mark of a bothersome destiny.

Fortunately for me, not many knew about that long dead legend. Unfortunately for me, my instructor surely knew.

"Nevertheless, your ability is admittedly better than most of your fellow peers. So, Rin, do tell me. Where did you learn how to fight?" the woman tapped lightly on the unsuspecting sword on her hips.

She was very much a "chosen one" archetype. Despite her best efforts at dressing modestly, she could not hide her spirit blessed features and form. For the main character of a fairy tale, there was no one else that could fit the bill better than her.

Studying me with her brilliant green eyes, she added on to her previous question, "It's merely for confirmation, Rin."

I pondered my choices for a moment, "If I answer that, would you answer one thing about yourself, instructor?"

It was probably true, but my foolish optimism was praying otherwise.

"Cheeky. Sure, I have nothing to hide from my students."

Ugh. Even her smile was blindingly bright, perhaps fittingly so. Doesn't change the fact that its brilliance wanted to make a sinner like me hide...even though I technically was the heroine.

"My parents taught me. Apparently they were quite adept at the form and were qualified to teach."

I will just keep quiet about the part where they were the founders of the Akagi martial arts school. Yes.

"Interesting. You lived in the Sakura Empire, didn't you? I was from there, you know."

"You don't look like a Sakura citizen," I was genuinely confused.

"You mean the red hair?" she smiled cheekily. "Quite odd coming from a red headed Sakura citizen like you, don't you think? Then again, you must know the abnormality of our hair."

However, my instructor's cheerful expression soon faded, "I understand what you are referring to. Truthfully, I was born in the Kingdom. But I was not lying about being from Sakura. I have no connections left in this country."

"If that's the case, why are you here?"

"To repay a debt, I suppose," she smiled ruefully.

"For those who were left behind?"