Chapter 9: Clash on the Big Bridge

"Zabuza," Kakashi mouthed, pulling his hitai-ate up, revealing his Sharingan. "So finally you decided to show yourself? I thought you would know better and hide your ass in some corner after that fight in the forest."

"You're just lucky during that battle that I didn't have my full strength," Zabuza sneered. "But this time you're not that fortunate. Today I'm not alone."

He waved his hand, and the fake hunter-nin from before appeared from inside the thick mist. Kakashi's eyes narrowed.

"So that hunter-nin really was your accomplice..."

"Finally realized it, huh?" Zabuza smirked under his bandage. "But it's too late now. Haku, go."

Without any word, Haku dashed forward, aiming at the bridge builder and the three genin, senbon ready on hand.

And she was stopped by Sasuke, who jumped in her way and delivered a rolling kick to her face. Naturally, with her incredible reflex, Haku easily stopped midrun and blocked the kick.

Zabuza's eyes narrowed. That brat can follow Haku's speed?

"Surprise, huh, Zabuza? But your opponent is me, not him."

Zabuza's eyes darted back, right in time for him to block Kakashi's swing of his kunai on his exposed neck. His maniacal grin couldn't be seen as it was hidden under the bandages.

"Coming right at me, eh Kakashi? But when you do that..." he formed a hand seal with his free hand, "...what will happen to the bridge builder and your little genin, I wonder?"

Four water clones of Zabuza rose up from the ground, surrounding Sakura, Hinata and Tazuna. Their swords were raised high, ready to strike down at the seemingly defenseless people.

But Kakashi just chuckled.

"I told you Zabuza, you have underestimated my genin too much."

Four sickening thuds, and the clones collapsed back into water.

Sakura stood firm in front of Tazuna and Hinata. Her right clenched fist was soaking wet.

"Wow," she muttered in shock. "Did I just do what I think I did?"

She punched through my water clones?!

"See that Zabuza? We didn't spend the last week doing nothing like you did."

If it hadn't been for the mask hiding his mouth, people would have seen the triumphant smirk on Kakashi's face. Zabuza gritted his teeth.

"Well, I admit that your genin have developed quite nicely during the last week..."

But suddenly, his mouth morphed into a deadly grin under the bandage.

"...but you are too naïve to think that only you have improved!"

Zabuza jumped away from Kakashi, while weaving through hand seals in a much faster speed than he did before. Both of Kakashi's eyes widened.

Oh shit!

He also started going through hand seals, but Zabuza had nearly completed his own.

There's no time to copy Zabuza's jutsu. He had to use another one...

"WATER STYLE: WATER DRAGON!"

"WATER STYLE: WATER SHARK BOMB!"

The two creatures made of water slammed into each other and exploded, making a torrent which poured down everyone's head.

Sasuke's eyes widened when Haku formed a seal with her free hand.

"Everyone! Be caref..."

"Too late! Water Style: Thousand Needles of Death!"