Chapter 17: Battlefield Konoha

"Gaara..."

Naruto muttered while staring at one of his best friends... well, sort of, who was writhing in sand and snarling creepily while turning into his grotesque monster form.

'I take offense to that!' Shukaku growled in annoyance inside Naruto's head.

'Seriously Shuki-chan,' Gyuuki snorted. 'If that's not gross, I don't know what might be anymore.'

'Shut up you! And stop calling me that!'

In front of them, Gaara had already finished transforming. Right now, his upper body was covered in sand, forming a mini Shukaku body with two clawed arms and a tanuki face with coin-like eyes.

He grabbed the branch he was standing on with his clawed hand, and Naruto suddenly felt a sense of foreboding.

He jumped aside, right before the cannonball called Gaara crashed into his face and obliterated the tree under his feet.

"SCARED OF ME, UZUMAKI? WHERE IS THAT POWER OF YOURS? SHOW ME! GIVE IT TO ME SO I CAN CRUSH IT!!"

And I thought the Gaara of our time was creepy enough...

Naruto grimaced. Before, when Gaara hadn't been his friend, he could strike him down without hesitation, as Gaara still had been his enemy at that time. But now... He hesitated.

He couldn't shake the feeling of Gaara being his friend out of his head.

How can he possibly fight a friend he had known for such a long time?

'Naruto! Look out!'

Naruto blinked, only to see sand crawling up his legs. Too focused on Gaara in front of him, he didn't notice the tiny particles' hidden movement.

Oh shit!

'Don't worry, I got this!' The voice of Shukaku suddenly echoed in his brain. A blast of magnetic chakra from the tanuki, and all the sand was blown away from his body.

Gaara blinked.

Under Shukaku's influence, it looked freakishly weird.

"HOW... HOW DID YOU REPEL MY SAND!?"

It sounded both scary and funny at the same time, hearing the tone of confusion and fear in Gaara's voice. Creepier, that was also the expression of the Shukaku inside Gaara's body.

"AAAAARRRRGHHH! NO!! AAAAARRRRGGHHH!"

Everyone glared at Shukaku inside Naruto's head.

'Stop that! It's annoying!'

"Heh, heh, hehehehe... Don't worry Mother... No matter what... I will still give you his blood... He will not deny us our existence... I will definitely kill him... aahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

'Stop hesitating Naruto!' Kurama yelled inside Naruto's head. 'If you don't start fighting, you will be the one who get beaten to a pulp, not Gaara!'