Chapter 25: A Date Went Wrong

The apparitions of seven shinobi wearing the same black cloaks with red clouds on them flickered into view around a blazing torch, where two other figures were standing next to.

"Huh, we only have nine here," the apparition with the shape of Deidara, the mad bomber of Iwagakure blinked. "Where are Kakuzu and Hidan?"

"Dead," the figure which was the Deva Path of Pain answered curtly.

"Dead?" Deidara laughed. "Kakuzu, maybe, but a monster like Hidan can die too? I really want to see how he died."

"That's not the way to talk about your comrades, Deidara."

Even with an apparition, the glare of the Rinnegan was still incredibly scary.

"So who killed them?" Tobi raised his question.

"Just like before; the Nine-Tails and his gang," Zetsu answered instead of Pain.

"So it was them, eh?" Kisame whistled. "Well, considering who they're going with, no wonder they're killed. It's two of the Legendary Sannin after all."

"We were hiding in the outskirt of Konoha, waiting to ambush the jinchuriki on his way back from his mission," Itachi explained. "Unfortunately for us, when he came back, we noticed that he was flanked by not only Tsunade and Jiraiya of the Legendary Sannin, but also a girl with the same description of the Seven-Tails jinchuriki."

The other members of the Akatsuki looked at each other awkwardly.

"Well, if that's the case, even I won't be stupid enough to charge into battle," Finally, after a minute of silence, Deidara admitted grudgingly.

"Still, you don't have much more time, Itachi," Pain glared at the Uchiha. "Why didn't you just sneak into Konoha and kidnap him? You know Konoha like your own hand."

"Yes, but after our last attempt of sneaking into Konoha, they seem to have tightened their security," Itachi answered. "Now I can't find any way to get into Konoha without being caught. Still my fault though..."

"Yes, that is your fault, indeed," Pain said dryly. "So you'd better find a way to get the Nine-Tails quickly, before..."

He didn't even need finish the sentence. Everyone already knew what was going to happen if Itachi couldn't bring Naruto back in time. The apparition of Itachi nodded, and faded away in a flicker of light. The other members also disappeared one by one. After the last member, Tobi, had disappeared after throwing a glance back at them, Konan turned to Pain.

"Are you really sure that trusting Itachi that much is wise?"

"He is a considerable force the Akatsuki needs," Pain answered, not even looking at her.

"But..." Konan bit her lips. But before she could say anything else, Pain had raised a hand to stop her.

"You don't have to worry about Itachi. After all, people won't bet their own life into something if they really have no intention to complete it."

"Aaaaaah... After a day full of missions, having a bowl of ramen is always the best thing in the world..."

Naruto sighed happily when the steaming bowl of ramen landed on the counter in front of him. He inhaled sharply; the aroma of the legendary food reached his nostrils, invading all his senses, sending him to heaven.

He was a little bit miffed about Sasuke and Sakura, though. Being a chuunin, he could take solo missions if he wanted, but mostly, his missions were still with Team 7, now named Team Kakashi. But his two teammates always flatly refused when he asked them to go for ramen. Sasuke always "hn"ed and mocked him "why not asking your harem to join you", and Sakura always said that she was going to train.