Chapter 33: The Siege of Sunagakure

Never before had Sunagakure been in such a mobilization. Ninja of all ranks, all ages were running around, positioning themselves at different places around the village under their superiors' command, gathering whatever weapons they had, or even comforting the younger ones who hadn't had much fighting experience. No one could even crack a smile; they all knew that if they couldn't do it, it would be the end of one of the greatest Hidden Villages of the shinobi world.

"Kazekage-sama."

Gaara didn't look at the shinobi who had just landed at his right. His eyes were all deeply focused on the horizon, at the direction the invaders were coming from. "Report," he said.

"Our scouts have just reported. They said that even though they had searched everywhere, there was no sign of anything moving in a radius of ten kilometers around the village."

"So maybe you are just mistaken?" Temari asked hopefully. Kankuro, standing next to her, shook his head.

"No. Gaara's sand movement sensor is never wrong, and such a large force could not be something he imagined out. If there is nothing visible... then the only explanation possible is that they are moving underground."

Temari blinked. "But... isn't moving something as large as that army underground kinda impossible? I mean... you know that moving underground for such a long time under this desert is impossible even for one person, right? And yet they are moving a whole 10,000-troop army!"

"I don't know," Gaara answered. "And that's what makes them dangerous. Moving the army underground leaves us with no way to know what formation they are in, what level of ninja they have, what kinds of war equipment they are using... meaning, we, as the defenders, don't know anything about them, while they have more than enough in both element of surprise and number against us."

"...so basically, we are like cornered rats right."

"Basically, yes."

Silence for a few seconds. Then Temari asked.

"So what are we going to do?"

Gaara closed his eyes. Two seconds later, his eyes snapped open, and he commanded.

"Temari, you are one of the shinobi with the most powerful long range jutsu in the village. Gather more long range fighters with decent wind and fire jutsu and go up the west side of the wall and wait for my command to fire. Kankuro, you go get Elder Chiyo together with five jonin and bring them to the shelter. You will be in charge of protection there."

"What?!" the puppeteer protested. "I can't do that! I want to fight with you in the frontline!"

Gaara turned around and looked at his brother with a sharp glare. Kankuro flinched.

"I'm... I'm sorry, Gaara, I didn't mean to..."

"Kankuro."

The puppeteer blinked when he heard Gaara's voice. There was no sign of anger or anything in his tone.

"As Kazekage, the first duty I have to fulfil is to provide safety for the citizens. With almost every shinobi of the village at the frontline, our force to protect them would be thinned down. And you already know what our enemies can do. Protecting the citizens is the job I cannot entrust to anyone else except the ones I trust the most. You, my brother."

Kankuro was stunned for a while. Then, he nodded. "Understood. I will do what I was told. And..." he turned and leapt away, but not before saying, "be careful, Gaara."

When his siblings had already been away, Gaara said in his mind. 'Shukaku? Are you ready for the battle?'

'Hmph! Way ahead of you!' The Beast inside him answered. 'I'm itching to show those Akatsuki how not to mess with me!'