Chapter 12: Let's Ruin the Chuunin Exam!

In a dark corner of the highest tower of Amegakure, two people were kneeling in front of a throne.

"I'm very disappointed of you, Itachi, Kisame."

"I'm sorry, Leader," Itachi answered with a monotone voice. "That jinchuriki is not skilled, but he is quite sly. Had it not been for my time in Konohagakure, he would have outrun us."

"True, but in the combat side, he's nothing to be worried about," Kisame grinned.

"Even with that," Pain cut them short, "you alerted Konohagakure about our presence. And it is a little too soon to reveal ourselves to the world. You disobeyed me, and as the rule, I should punish you..."

Pain raised his hand, and Itachi and Kisame tensed up, ready themselves to fight.

"...however, this time I will forgive you. You've done at least a good job, evaluating the ability of the Kyuubi jinchuriki. Considering what you told me about him, there is nothing to fear. When the time comes, I'll go capture him myself. Now Itachi, Kisame, I have another job for you. In the border of Iwagakure, there is an S-ranked international terrorist named Deidara. He used to be in the Explosion Corps of Iwagakure. You two go there and make sure to recruit him. I'm counting on you."

Your arrogance will someday come back to bite you, Pain, Itachi thought when the two walked out of the throne room.

Team 7 was on their way to the Academy, where the first task of the Chuunin Exam was held.

Naruto was gripping his registration form tight in his right hand. The Chuunin Exam was one of the most memorable milestones in his life. It was the first time he met another jinchuriki, the first time he fought in a war, and – his stomach twisted with this thought – the first time one of his precious people died and he couldn't do anything to help...

'Then just don't let him die this time,' Shukaku said. Naruto smiled. Shukaku is still Shukaku; despite being much nicer than before, she's still as rude and blunt as ever.

Speaking about the Chuunin Exam... if it was held in the Academy, the first task should be the written test, just like during his time.

'Written test?! God, that was the most stupid thing I've heard in my life!' Goku snorted in Naruto's head. 'Seriously, written test in an exam for shinobi?'

'Yeah, and that's why we call you a musclehead with no brain at all,'Matatabi said dryly.

'Hey!'

Naruto sighed. Since he had the nine Tailed Beasts living together with him, he had been used to their usual bickering. Sometimes, it just caused him massive headaches.

Still, Naruto couldn't help but agree with the monkey. Seriously, couldn't jiji and the guys in charge come up with something more interesting? Written tests suck!

Too busy with his thoughts, he didn't even realize he had just walked past the Sand Siblings, who were also on their way to the test room.

"Hey, you over there; what are your names?"

Only when Gaara called did Naruto realize the existence of the three foreign ninja in the corridor. He turned, and saw that the redhead was staring at Team 7 with a calculating look. Gaara still looked the same as Naruto could remember: pale green eyes without eyebrows, the kanji of "love" carved into his forehead, the gourd on his back...

Wait a second here... if Gaara had the gourd, it would mean...

'Impossible... I can feel my power inside him! How can he have my power? I'm right here!' he heard Shukaku muttering in his head. Coincidentally, he was also sharing the same question.