Not the school

y/n's pov

The day had crawled by peacefully with no sign of Grindelwald or any of his followers. You rubbed your eyes to get the sleep out of them. The sun was setting when you saw it. A figure. You peered closer. A flash caught the corner of your eye. It was one of the teachers telling you to send up the signal to the rest of the school. Grindelwald was here. You raised your wand and sent a bolt of red that exploded in the air. More figures appeared. And more. And more. You lost count in the darkness. As the teachers had planned, the students creeped out of a secret passageway and left Hogwarts. The teachers outside made a force field around the school to hold Grindelwald and his forces back for the moment. The traps had already been set and the castle was silent. Dead silent. It was creepy. As if the whole castle was abandoned, a ghost town. You almost jumped when you heard a voice behind you but it was only Albus.

"Are you okay?" He demanded. You nodded. "Is it really him?" You pointed down at the growing group outside the forcefield. Please let there not be anymore. Your mind pleaded. And of course, there were more. "He came to the school." Albus said. You could see that he was paleing quickly even through the darkness.

"We won't be able to hold them back for long." You said. "There are too many of them."

"We need help." Albus said.

"How are we going to get anyone the message?" You asked him.

"Open the top of the force field."

"What?"

"You heard me." You obeyed and opened the top of the force field for Albus. He raised his wand and shot a red light high, high, into the sky. It exploded into a sentence. Grindelwald at Hogwarts; please help. You closed the force field.

"Do you think that will work?" You asked him.

"Hopefully." Albus said, staring at the sky. Grindelwald's forces began attacking the force field.

"Get ready." You hissed to Albus.

"Oh, I'm ready." Albus said. "I've been ready for a year."

They broke the force field.

Spells started flying everywhere. You and Albus ducked as two killing curses missed your heads by inches.

"Get down there!" You ordered Albus. "I'll stay up here."

"Okay." Albus said. "Hopefully at least Aberforth and Credence are coming. We need all the help we can get." Before he could leave you grabbed his arm.

"Good luck and stay safe." You said. Albus smiled and kissed you.

"I'll stay safe." He left.

       ************

The fight was still going on and only a few of Grindelwald's followers had leaked in. You had run down to help defend the bottom half of the school when multiple spells almost blew your head off. Aberforth and Credence were already there. You were careful to dodge the traps that the students and teachers had set on your way over. You sent a witch that had snuck in into one of the invisible traps. Instantly, she was sucked into the floor and you could see her outline banging against the floor. You turned and sent spells at every single one of Grindelwald's followers that you could see. You didn't wait to see if any of them hit the target. Grindelwald hadn't joined the fight yet. Maybe he was waiting. Maybe he knew how this fight would turn out. Or he was waiting. Waiting for the right moment to strike when even the most predictive didn't expect. You blocked a spell and it bounced back at its sender who instantly dropped down to the ground, dead. Soon you and Albus were back-to-back fighting wizard after wizard and witch after witch.

"Lovely evening isn't it." Albus said. "I'd love to take a stroll at some point, wouldn't you?"

"This isn't a time for jokes, Albus." You said, narrowly avoiding a crucio curse. You blasted a wizard into a trap and he was sucked into the ceiling and started to silently bang on the ceiling with countless others who had fallen to the traps.

************

Grindelwald stepped into the fight. The other teachers were busy fighting the last remnants of Grindelwald's band of followers. The only two free people were you and Albus.

"Ah." Grindelwald said. "y/n and Albus. Wonderful." He attacked. All you and Albus could do was defend. You noticed he was standing right in front of a trap. You quickly sent a spell that thankfully hit Grindelwald and made him skid backwards into the trap. Instantly his arms and legs snapped together and he was sent flying out of the castle and all the way into the forbidden forest.

"Nice one y/n." Albus complemented.

"Thanks." You said. Grindelwald's supporters just realized that their leader had been defeated, and they ran out of the school and into the forbidden forest. The teachers cheered and let free Grindelwalds supporters from the clutches of suits of armor, the ceiling, and the floor. But soon they all were pushed into a dungeon and their wands were taken away. The student's were all sent letters saying that they could return to school. And of course, The Daily Prophet, had something to say about it.