Chapter 2

Emma blinked listlessly as the morning sun blinds her right eye. She slowly sits upright beside the chair, mind still recovering from the nightmares. Despite the alluring comfort the chair provide, Emma did not sit down on it as she stared listlessly on the floor.

It was a dull, soulless task, but for some reason, she did not want to move. Emma wanted to stay like that forever, staring down the soft carpet till the end of time. Not wanting to ever move a muscle ever again. Alas, the knock on the door had broken that hope to pieces.

"Breakfast is ready my lady." A maid said softly as she slowly opened the door. "My lady are you-!!! My lady!" The maid immediately ran to her side when she saw Emma lying still beside the chair. It was like a puppet who suddenly lost all of its strings and left to rot by the winds of time.

"What happened my lady! Are you sick?? Are you currently not feeling well?? I'll call the doctor immediately so-" "Quiet..." Emma cuts off the maid as she slowly lifted her gaze. The maid was about to continue when she met Emma's gaze. For a moment, winter rages from within, before turning dull once more. "The day barely started." Emma grumbled as she slowly rises.

The maid hesitated for a moment before she gathers her composure once more when she noticed Emma's pale complexion. "Are you sure you are all right, my lady?" The maid carefully inquires as Emma clicks her tongue. "What does it look like?" Emma grumbled as her eyes soon shook off the exhaustion.

The young lady stumbled out of her spot as she made her way towards the door at a lethargic paste. "M-my lady if I may, would you perhaps have your breakfast here instead?" Emma paused as she slowly turned to face the maid again.

She stared listlessly into her eyes before nodding slowly. "Sure, thanks." Emma replied half-heartedly as she slowly made her way towards one of the chairs. "O-oh umm, ok then my lady! I will bring your food in no time!" The maid said before disappearing into the door.

Emma crashed down towards the previous comfy chair as she stared listlessly at the ceiling. "Hmm." Emma hummed as her body slowly sinks from the soft fur. This... its too soft... Emma thought in displeasure as she moved back towards the floor below.

The floor below was significantly harder than the chair, but Emma found it more comfortable than the fluffy chair that seemed to suck her in. She leaned her head against the wall, trying to recollect herself in the somber silence. ...What now? Emma pondered.

Do I really have to do this all over again? A frown stretches across her face. ...Do I have to fight all over again? Her head titled towards the open window, towards the open sky. ...I don't want to... She thought as her eyes were growing heavy now. ...I don't want to...

Her heavy eyelids slowly comes crashing down on her world, dragging her back to sleep. And for a moment, she was at peace. The world around her was silent. There are no voices from the maids nor the vexing shouts of the knights, just the sweet bliss of silence... then a heavy knock jolts her right up.

Emma closed her eyes once more as she tries to ignore the knocking, but the sound persists and grows ever stronger with each second that passes. Finally having enough, Emma rose from her seat before marching towards the door.

"Kalva be damn, can't you just leave the food-" as soon as the door opened, Emma's eyes widen in surprise for a moment as Elias stood there instead of the maid. Her expression immediately hardens akin to steel as she straightens her posture. Exhaustion had been replaced with caution and bitterness.

"..."

"..."

They silently watched one another as if they were waiting for the other to speak. Once upon a time, Emma would gladly struck up any chance of a conversation she could get from anyone. Their approval was everything. In another time, in another place, perhaps she still would.