Chapter 16

"How is she?" Rose whispered as Emma gently closes the door. "She needs rest. Her body needs time to fully recover, but I think she will be fine." Emma smiled warmly, the tightness within her chest had lightened significantly.

"That's... well it's not good, but it could be worse..." Rose whispered melancholy as she stared at the door. Eyes filled with worry as Emma nodded back. "I could only pray for our luck. Though I have to say, she does remind me of a certain someone." Emma said as Rose visibly flinched.

"P-please sister, I was young back then." Rose said as she hastened her steps, giving Emma little time to give her own piece. Sensing an opportunity she seldom receives now, the older sister pounces on the opportunity.

"Oh? But I have never thought such a rough lady could become so sweet today?" Rose reddens further as Emma could only laugh at her reaction. "...But she's worse off than me..." Rose added weakly, the heavy silence settled in once more.

"I had time but... kalva be damn, she is too young sister." Rose said in pity, finding her gaze drifting back towards the door, worry filled her eyes. Emma could not help but give a small smile. You've grown so much, sister. The older sister thought before replying.

"It could not be helped." Emma finally replied with a sigh. "What's done is done, we could not change the past as much as we wanted to. We could only change the future and live the present." Rose nodded in agreement as they continued to walk.

"So... what should we do?" Rose asked as Emma looked perplexed. "I...I am not sure sister... but I do know we have to help her." Rose nodded her head in reply as Emma continued. "I do not know what exactly, but we will figure it out... somehow." Emma said sullenly.

"Ah sister Emma, sister Rose! Good timing, I've been looking for you two." The two stopped in their tracks as a man appeared around the corner. It was the same red-haired man that Lucy brought the grain with prior and the archer who teamed up with Rose.

The two eyed the man warily as Emma replies. "Can we help you, sir Seth?" Emma asked. "Please, call me Seth instead." Seth smiled as Emma shook her head. "But how could I? Not only you have lent that precious medicine to Lucy, but you have also gifted us this warm home. Not to mention the supplies you have given us; we truly are indebted to you sir."

Emma said with a smile as Seth shook his head in disagreement. "...But I must ask..." Emma added in. "...What do you intend to do with us with these gifts?" Seth gave a plain smile like that of a merchant as Rose grumbled from within.

"Have I not told you before dear sister Emma? It is all in goodwill." Seth replied as Emma slightly frowns. "...Forgive me for the rudeness sir Seth, but I do not believe you have given us these things without compensation..." Emma said as the smile Seth had slowly crumbled.

"... Don't be mistaken, I am grateful of course, but I wish to know why you are doing this... the real reason..." Emma said as Seth had a complex expression. It looked as if he was calculating the words he was about to say next.

"If you are asking why I am doing this... I guess it would be for sister Lucy?" The two frowned immediately as Seth hurriedly added in. "Ah, it's not that kind of attention I assure you. It's just that... her scars tell a complicated story." Rose and Emma's eyes widen in shock as they reply.

"What do you mean by that sir Seth?" Rose asked this time as he turned his gaze to Rose. "I have a... hobby you see? The stories in books are nothing but fairytales for children, but people like Lucy? Now that is something worth hearing." Seth smiled as he continued.

"Their battles, their hate, their love, their scars, all of them are so much more intriguing than fairy tales. They might be the same soldier or mercenary, but their stories? It is simply just fascinating to learn." The discomfort grew as Seth continued to talk.