Chapter 39

An: Here it is... the pain, 4k chapter... hope you enjoy it.

֍

A breeze blew across the forest, bringing the harsh cold with it. Nightfall had finally come as the stars blanketed the entire night sky. Its giant moon, Falria, was nowhere to be found, giving the entire realm to the stars. The canvas of space was a sight to behold if one were to look above. Lucy could only stare at Seth as her body reflexively recoiled.

...What? The soldier within echoed.

W-why... why does he have that? Her pupils trembled as she eyed the bow and its wielder. Her breath was beginning to grow out of control despite her best efforts to remain calm. No experience nor technique could prepare her as reality had become frighteningly cold. Even Emma was speechless.

"Lucy?" Seth asked, his eyes relaxed slightly at her relatively unharmed state as he approached. The young maiden felt her heart drop when Seth reached for her. "are you ok-"

Lucy violently slapped his hands away. The young man's eyes widened in shock. The refusal alone felt like a ballista bolt running through his spine, but the petrified and distrustful gaze she threw felt as if the entire walls of Kalria came crashing down on him.

"L-Lucy?" Seth hesitated, his voice betraying confusion and hurt as Lucy inched further away. "I-is something wrong? Why-"

"N-not a step closer," Lucy growled as her eyes glinted dangerously. The red hair froze, disbelief rich in his eyes as Lucy curled her fingers into fists. "J-just where did you-"

It's him... Emma growled as Lucy recoiled.

"...no that is not his," Lucy whispered a second longer.

That is-

"-is not his! It can't be his. This has to be a mistake." Lucy shook her head in denial when Seth replied.

"Lucy, calm down." The young man reasoned, dragging the two back into caution. "T-tell me what is the problem, we can-"

"Why do you have that bow?" Lucy sneered fearfully and disdainfully at the weapon that once heralded her death.

What are you doing? We can take him down now! He-

No... no this is wrong; it can't be him. He-

"W-what do you mean?" It was not the reply she wanted to her as Lucy's eyes trembled even further. "I don't understand-"

"Where did you get it? Did you have someone to procure it o-or was it stolen?" Lucy cuts off, causing even more confusion and now, frustration to the young man at the blatant accusation in her tone. "W-well?" Lucy urges, her breathing slowly grows shallower.

"I didn't steal it." Seth firmly responds. "I made it on my own."

...W-what?

...He said it... he confesses to it.

Seth fought off the urge to sigh as he continued. "That doesn't matter for now. Lucy, I need you to calm down and..." The young man trailed off when he saw the utter distraught consumed her entire being. Before he could ask, a confused whisper came from her.

"W-why?" She weakly answered. "J-just why do you have it? W-why- kalva damn it all!" Anger and fear roared into a terrible blaze. The urge to scream, the desire to run intermingled into a chaotic typhoon from within, but nothing, nothing burned as much as betrayal does.

Her world blurred as tears stung her eyes. The very act of breathing was agonizing as every gasp felt like burning promethium seeping through her lungs. Her throat felt dry, and her lips trembled as she tried to bury it all.