Chapter 8

1 month later

Lucy's eyes snapped open as a soft creak resounded in her ears. Ambush. She thought as her right hand reaches in for the nearest object. Her body springs into action as it tries to discern the location of the assassin. She was still half asleep as her young body was still trying to wake up.

Creak There...?" Lucy blinked as she her mind spring to motion, comb in hand. Before her, was the window with its hinges slightly worn out than the others, resulting in the creak she was awaken from. Lucy glared at the wretched piece as she slowly lowers her guard.

"Fifth time this week." She let out an audible sigh as she threw the comb back to its place. "...I'm really not used to this..." She muttered as her mind was still racing in anticipation. War had never been kind to anyone as it was the case for everyone who participated in it.

It sharpens every veteran to an razors edge while also dragging them to the brink of paranoia. A small creak there, a little movement here was enough to flare warnings all across their mind as they prepare for an enemy attack.

Lucy had the misfortune to be one of them. Decades of experience came with a price as her mind was tougher than anyone else but was also scarred than anyone else of her age. ...Might as well do it while it's still early.

Day was still far from rising but Lucy did not go back to sleep as she slowly made her way towards the front door. A cold breeze washed over her as she quickly closes the door behind her. She stared silently in daze the town before her.

Lucy had seen the view more times than she cared to count, but still savored the peaceful silence whenever she can. It had a few rivers running up and down its canal, perfect for local trade and transportation but nothing substantial like those in the capital. Though the walls were small, it was made of solid stone and granite. Resilient and reliable.

Beside those two however, the town was more or less the same as any other town, plain and simple. The only real uniqueness of this town was the orphanage. It was located on the hill northeast of the town. The place where she is currently residing now.

Lucy did not know where exactly this place is but she found it to be the perfect place to hide. She did not have to worry about food and shelter as the sisters provided it for her and only had to focus on healing from the wound and building back the strength she had lost.

It wasn't easy but at least it was something. Lucy let out a cold breath as she slowly stretches her body. A satisfying pop occasionally resounded here, a loud crack could be heard there as her body was slowly getting warmed up.

When her preparations were complete, Lucy slowly made her way around the orphanage before breaking off with a jog. She circled around the orphanage once before going downhill in a long circular pattern. It took her 15 minutes to reach the bottom. 5 minutes shorter than a month before, but it was still a far cry in her prime.

Lucy could barely hold down the urge to scream as her lungs begging for air held far more importance. This body is useless! She thought in between deep breaths, paling ever so slightly as the urge to vomit threatens at the edge of her mind. Thankfully, she manages to hold it in.

Have I really been this weak? A simple jog is all that it takes? Lucy frowned as her gaze went back to the orphanage. The uphill climb was far more taxing than the downhill descent, yet it barely fazes the former soldier. "No... this won't do." Alight with determination, Lucy returned back to jogging, climbing up this time.

Her body temperature rises at an alarming rate as Lucy pushed her body relentlessly. As she was doing this, she was also beginning to replenish her reserves of power. Without Lacrum, Lucy had to be content with the agonizing slow process what her body could produce.