Chapter 19

"What do we do?" Emma sighed heavily as Rose sat across from her. Between them was Lucy, resting in relative peace. The two were at a loss to the truths that may forever change their and Lucy's lives. If Lucy truly were the missing lady of the Larum dukedom, they would have no other choice but to turn her over.

If they were lucky, the dukedom would leave them alone as if nothing ever happened. If they were not, they would be executed for the scars Lucy possessed. Though they did not harm nor do anything wrong to the lass, the nobles had done worse for far less.

Emma had witnessed far too many times how these supposed 'nobles' harass and frame the common folk for their own incompetence. Though Emma had yet to meet the heir, she was not confident he would be fair after she saw what had come to Lucy.

"We can't just hand her over, sister Emma," Rose replied.

"I know that, but what of the others? I'm fine if I were the one to receive their wrath... but the children?" Rose bites her lips as a curse escape from her tongue.

"Kalva damned aristocrats." Emma grunted at Rose's rough tone but did not say otherwise. The sentiment was shared, though her reservation for cursing was far greater than Rose's. The two deliberated what to do when the door suddenly opened. It was Iva.

Iva was surprised when she saw the two but did not react otherwise as she brought a wet towel for Lucy. "Excuse me..." Iva said softly as she began to wipe Lucy. Emma could not help but give a small smile to Iva.

She changed so much after the attack. Just weeks ago, Emma could still remember seeing the little girl glaring at Lucy whenever she did her chores. Now, she was the one taking good care of her when the sisters were busy.

"...We cannot give her back," Emma whispered as Rose perked up.

"Then what of the heir?" Rose asked as Emma shook her head.

"We will cross the bridge when we get there, but we can't just abandon her. Not after what she had done to all of us." Rose smiled at Emma's answer.

"I guess that settles it then?" Emma nodded as Rose rises.

"I will tell the others what we should do, until then-" Rose stopped when she noticed Lucy beginning to squirm. Emma caught her gaze just in time as Lucy let out a small whimper. Another nightmare.

Emma hurriedly begins to caress Lucy's forehead, trying to soothe the little girl's impending nightmare. It did little to ease her pain as she began to kick and cry. Her once tranquil rest slowly twisted into agony as the cries grew louder.

"N-not me." A whimper involuntarily escaped Lucy's lip. "It... was not... m-me"

At that moment, Emma prepared herself for the worst as the symptoms were far too familiar whenever her young charge broke down. Her hunch was soon prove rightt as a bloodcurdling scream escaped from Lucy.

֍

"Murderer!" The faceless shadows howled as Lucy clutched her ears desperately.

"N-no! I am-"

"Killer of your own mother! A devil like you should not exist!" Tears muddled with her cry as Lucy tried to speak.

"I didn't do anything! I did not mean to-"

"Lies! All you have ever spoken are lies demon!" The shadows began to enclose as Lucy tried to run but failed as the ground rooted her in place.

"A demon like you should have never been born!"