Chapter 18

"Ah, you're here. Please have a seat." Seth said as he quickly dropped the papers on his desk to accommodate the two. Emma and Rose looked at one another, uncertain whether to take the offer or not.

"Tea? Crumpets?" Seth asked as the two shook their heads in resignation, taking their seats across from him.

"Straight to business then... I would be direct with you sisters; I have many questions that need to be answered." Seth said as the two eyed him warily.

"I have expected something is wrong with her but... it is worse than I thought." Seth said as he let out a sigh.

"...I need your help sisters. I barely know her, and I can't help her without your help." Seth whispered as his fingers drummed against his leg.

The two looked at each other as if they were mentally trading words with one another. Seth patiently waited, silence slowly weighing the room. After several painful minutes, Emma finally opened up to reply.

"Why are you doing this?" His fingers stopped mid-air as he was met with the wary gazes of the two. Seth felt his frustration rise, but he quickly stowed it down.

"I know you have already explained sir Seth... about your hobbies. But this... this is no simple hobby is it?" Seth did not react as he waited.

Emma meets his gaze as she continues to speak in a low voice. "I would have understood if you simply wanted to know Lucy's past and her story... but the way you handled Lucy... it was no simple thing." An undertone of accusation filled the sister's voice, but Seth let it slide.

"You handled her so calmly... it is as if you are experienced in this... used to it even." Emma trailed off as she waited for his answer.

"You are sharp sister Emma." Seth replied as he let out a sigh. "But I do not see how is this related to my inquiry?" Seth said as he tried to keep the frown from showing.

"...I just don't understand why you are so willing to help us..." Emma said in a dejected tone.

"We have done nothing for you. We have nothing to pay you with. We are even a liability considering-"

"Stop." Seth cuts her off as he raises his hand. "Would you please stop with your self-depreciation? I am simply trying to help those I could reach." Seth replied.

"...But why help us exactly?" The older nun asked.

Seth's brows furrowed; his patience was running dry. "What kind of man would I be to let children and women starve in the freezing streets when my belly is full and a warm hearth in my abode?" Seth grunted as the two blinked.

"Penniless? Liability? What does that have to do with helping others? I could not care less if you were the ruler of this realm or a pauper. I just want to help, is that too hard to believe?" The two blinked in surprise at his answer before a small smile crept up on Emma's face.

"I am glad to see there are still others out there like you sir Seth. Thank you... truly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you." Seth awkwardly avoided her gaze as he could feel his ears redden in embarrassment.

"A-anyways, let's go back on topic." Seth forcefully coughed as he turned his attention to Rose.

"Sister Rose, can you tell me what happened before Lucy panicked? Important details will do but word for word would be most desirable." Seth said as Rose stiffened for a moment.

She turned to look at Emma for support as her eyes shifted uncomfortably. "...Sister Rose, your friend is in grave condition." Seth snatched the two's attention as he whispered in a heavy tone.