Chapter 15

"...Captain..." One of the men softly called out for Emma as she watched the men pile the dead. Their bodies were marred and ruined beyond recognition that made the virescent spear doubt if they were even human. The men slowly piled the bodies one by one in somber silence.

"...How many times is it lieutenant?" Emma softly asked as she watched a small lifeless body being carried by the soldiers with care. Her face remained impassive, but her glistening eyes betrayed her.

"...It would be the seventh time sir..." The lieutenant finally answered as Emma's pupil trembled for a second. "...We can't even save a fucking village..." Emma cursed softly as the lieutenant shook his head.

"It could not be helped. We have been deployed far beyond our reach this time. We can't possibly have known that they-" "There were 70 children in this village lieutenant..." Emma cut off as she watched another small body add to the pile.

"...70, kalva damn them all, children... not even one of them were spared." Emma tried to suppress a groan, but her body refused to be cowed. "We can't be blamed for this captain! We have tried our best! We rode for 7 days straight with little to no rest for Urum's sake!"

"...Yet still I couldn't save them..." Emma mumbled as she watched the mountain of corpses stacking on top of each other. "Captain... it is not your fault..." Emma did not replied as she listened to the priest giving off one last litany for the dead, preparing their cremation.

"... I've promised them you know?... I promised to be there if it happened... it did... and I was not there." Emma whispers as the raging fires emitted a powerful wave of heat. Unfortunately however, the painful pang in her heart was stronger than the flames.

"...Just how much longer will this last?" Emma mumbled as the men could offer no reply. The men wanted to offer solace to their worn-out captain, but her defeated eyes simply refused in all attempts to do so. Emma watched as the fires consumed them all. Men, women... children.

...I failed you... I failed you all... Please forgive me... I...I was not strong enough... I am simply not strong enough...

֍

Lucy's eyes snapped open as the dream passed. Her entire body felt sore as if she had slept for days. She blinked her eyes several times, trying to remember the last moments before she blacked out. As her mind slowly cleared, a feeling of dread and panic rose from her chest.

Where are they? Lucy thought, body screaming in protest as she forcibly pushed on. Where is this? It was only then Lucy realized she was not in the orphanage as the old musky wood she had grown accustomed to had been replaced by smooth chiseled stones.

Lucy tries to open her mouth to call her name, but her parched and dry throat could not even let out a croak. Where are you?? Lucy thought in panic as she quickly got up from the bed. The pain in her right leg suddenly flared as well as her shoulders as she moved.

The pain made her flinch but that was all as she was driven to find the missing children and sisters. Are they dead? No, they can't be! I was there to protect them! I was there when... no no this isn't happening, this can't be happening!

Lucy stumbled towards the door, dread had finally settled in. This isn't real. It can't be real. Kalva please, don't do this to me! "Emma... Rose... Iva... anyone... where are you?" Lucy tried to shout for their names but failed as her voice was too weak.

"Ivy... Telma... please... anyone." Lucy tried her hardest to scream but to no avail. Answer me damn you! Lucy demanded- no, she pleaded as tears welled up from her eyes. The world was frighteningly cold and quiet as she was forced to a crawl.