Chapter 7

"Good morning, did you sleep well Lucy?" Emma softly greeted Lucy as she nodded without a word. The day was just beginning yet the place where Lucy was currently standing on was filled with life.

Some of the sister were preparing breakfast for everyone while some were cleaning inside and outside the orphanage. "Is there anything I can help you with?" Emma asked as she went back to cutting down the vegetables to smaller sizes.

She wore a simple white apron with her nun clothes on. The same could be said for everyone else in the room as they busily prepared for the day. "...Is there a work I can do here?" Lucy briefly said as Emma's eyes widen.

"Oh no no! The sick should be resting on the bed instead of here." Emma said. "I'm fine really. Besides, I don't want to lie in bed all day." Lucy replied as Emma's face were puzzled in confusion. "Are you sure? You still look ghostly pale you know?" Emma said.

"...I can work at least that much. So please, is there anything I could help with?" Lucy said as Emma pondered the request for a moment. "Well we do need someone to peel the potatoes." Emma said as she pointed towards the basket of raw potatoes.

"Sure, leave it to me." Lucy said before walking towards the basket. "Hold on! Wash your hands first and put on an apron, there is a spare one I believe inside there." Emma said as she pointed towards the backroom.

A moment later passed before Lucy emerges from the backroom. A white apron had also covered her simple clothes as she walk hurriedly towards the basket. A small, delighted smile etched on Lucy's face before carrying a basket full of potatoes towards the bucket that had been freshly drawn-out water from the well.

Lucy washed the skin of the potatoes first thoroughly with the limited water she has before peeling off the skin one by one expertly with a knife. Like an experienced chef, Lucy peeled off the skin with ease.

"Oh? You are actually good with this." Emma said as she scanned her work. Barely five minutes had passed before she skinned an entire basket worth of potatoes. "Did you learn from a chef or something?" Emma asked as she had only seen them work as fast as Lucy did.

"Y-yes? Ah...yes, chef... right..." Lucy bit her lip as she was caught off guard. A chef eh?...Kel would have loved that wouldn't he?... Lucy thought as she took another basket of potatoes with relative ease and begins anew.

...This brings me back. She bitterly thought absently as her hands continued to move. Her years in the army were never smooth sailing even from the beginning. Untrained muscles, harsh environment, and a broken heart would lead anyone aimless and lost for a while. The only saving grace was the pity the drill sergeant had for her. Though pity could only serve her so far. She was mostly punished by peeling an entire day's worth of potatoes.

It was the most dull and monotonous of them all. Back then, Lucy hated the drill sergeant for giving her the punishment without mercy. Now she wished she could stay back to the good old days. Peeling potatoes the entire day was tremendously much better than watching her men die one by one. If only I knew then... Lucy thought as she peeled the last one.

"..." Lucy let out a sigh as she brought the last basket of freshly peeled potatoes. "Anything else?" Lucy asked as Emma looked at the basket. "I never knew you had a knack for this Lucy, this is impressive. You just given us a lot of time Lucy." Emma said as the other sisters nodded in agreement.

"...Is there anything else?" Lucy asked as Emma was disappointed in the lack of reaction. "Well, you could help us by preparing the table..." Lucy already trailed off before Emma could even finish her words. The older nun could not help but smirk the dedication Lucy was willing to commit.