Chapter 35

An: Oh baby whew. Almost all the setup is finally in place. As soon as I have more free time, I would blitz through it! Anyways, here's your yearly dose of fluff and dep.

֍

            "What tidings did you bring?" Elias muttered under his breath as he gazes off into the horizon. Though the stone walls were nothing like the capital, they were still sturdy and tall. Burning a small portion of his reserves, Elias's now golden eyes could look at the forest beyond where the ruins of the old orphanage now lies.

The party had waited long enough as Elias impatiently taps the parapet. "Sir, I regret to be the bearer of ill news, but a snowstorm had hit the Elium pass. Reinforcements that should have been here are further delayed, we all but beseech your patience. Sir." The tapping stopped.

"...I have waited for almost a month now scout. This cannot stand." Elias spoke with restraint as the man nodded stiffly. "I understand young lord, but-" "With every passing day, those vermins grew stronger. With every day we waste here, their numbers grew... I am running out of time." Elias said as he finally turned to face the man.

Though he wore the colors of his house, the scout bore no armor save for his sturdy blue and silver leather. Elias could only imagine the cold the man has to endure to bring such news swiftly. Any other day, Elias would have commended the man. Any other week, he would have shared a warm mead with him. Any other day, he would have, alas, it was not one of those days.

"The men would set out a week from now. If the others could not arrive by then, I'm sorry. I cannot wait here any longer." Elias said as he quickly went past the man who followed hastily. "Sir please consider-" "The sooner we're done here, the sooner we can leave." Elias cut off as they walked towards the busy headquarters.

Knights in cobalt hue diligently sharpened and maintained their gear as Elias and the scout weaved past them. The smell of oil and sharpening whetstone filled the air as the commoners were few and far between.

The common folk was not barred entrance by any means, but the locals had the foresight to mind their own business, causing the small part of the town to feel more like a fortress than a warm and homely stop.

"This is a monster tide sir! Not some meager lost raiders or petty banditry! A monster tide! Please see reason, sir!" The scout said. "Which is why we must strike now before it is too late." Elias remained unperturbed as the scout finally snapped.

"This is not about the extermination, is it sir? This is all about the young lady." Elias paused dead in his tracks as he turned and shot a glare. "Watch your tongue." Elias hissed, but the man stands his ground. "With all due respect sir, the young lady has not been found for almost 2 and a half months now. No sign of her tracks, no sightings of her, nothing.

This search had drained not only your father and you sir, but the men as well sir... isn't it about time to accept it?" The man barely had the time to blink as Elias tapped into his well, power coursing through his veins.

All it took was a blink of an eye to send the man down violently with a single strike. A loud crack echoed across the building as all eyes turned wide. The man blinked again before he finally realized what had just happened.

Elias could see the scout holding in the groan for a fraction of the moment before screaming. With it, his anger resurges. "Another word... if I hear so much as another word..." Elias restrained the roar with every discipline on his body as the scout nodded stiffly.

"Whether my sister is dead or alive, is none of your business. Whether she eloped to a bastard in the countryside or rotting in the caves of a troll, is none of your business. But if you so much as speak of her death so easily again, Kalva be damn, I will skin you alive, am I making myself clear?" Elias growled as the scout nodded back without a word.