Chapter 3

"...Another dead end..." Ave growled in frustration as she disregarded the book without batting an eye. The precious parchment that is highly sought after by the masses was thrown away as if it were expendable.

"Just how meticulous this bastard is?" Ave whispered as she pinches the bridge of her nose. "Creator this, maker that, all are horseshit." Ave curses at the god as the book was more of a bible than Ave had hoped for.

Ave was about to throw out in frustration once more when a knock forces her back to her senses. "Who is it?" Ave whispered as she slowly begins to calm down. "It is me dear." Ave froze for a moment before giving out a reply.

"Come in." Ave answered back as she quickly arranges the book back properly to their original places. A moment later, Yana appeared before the door as she smiled gently. "Studying again?" Yana said as she gestured at the piles of books on the table.

Ave nodded as she replied. "Got two weeks left before the admission. Need to be sure and prepare for anything." Ave lied as she was not interested in the slightest of the courses of the academy but rather the knowledge from where it resides.

"I see. Well, dinner will be ready soon. Just want to let you know." Yana replied softly as Ave blinked. She turned to see the world already blanketed in darkness as the moon replaced the sun on its throne.

Time sure does fly fast... I wonder how she's doing? Ave thought in melancholy as she could not help but think of her again. She's eating well, does she? I hope she does... "Are you coming dear?" Ave snapped out of her daze as she nodded back.

Ave quietly followed Yana as they made their way towards the dining room. The maids they passed by smile warmly at Yana as she waves back with a smile. Though they stiffen a little when they saw Ave beside her.

Some tried to smile and wave back as Ave simply nodded back in reply. Ave did so formally that the maids grew uncomfortable. It was unsettling to many to see such a young age already have an air of an adult.

Though none say so directly, they wanted to leave as quickly as possible from Ave as if she were a plague. "Is there something in your mind dear?" Yana asked as Ave meet her gaze. So warm... pity that it is not your child... Ave thought as she opened her mouth.

"I have, but it is of no import. Don't mind me... mother..." Ave spits the word out like lead as she founds great difficulty to speak the words without a rising guilt taking over. Yana slightly flinched, though it was barely noticeable as she hides it well.

"Y-you could just call me mom you know dear? No need to force yourself to act like an adult. Y-you are still too young too." Yana softly whispered as Ave immediately shook her head. "It is alright. I actually prefer it that way." Ave coldly replied as Yana gently shakes her head.

"Still... I would love for you to call me that..." Yana softly whispered as Ave was washed with guilt. Her heart felt as if it was being forcefully strained by two massive hands as Ave rubbed her chest. I should have not said it. I will have to leave anyway. The less they attach the better... Ave thought in somber silence.

The two finally reached the dining room as two maids bowed down before opening the door for them. Zane and Hale were already inside waiting for them as they seemed to be talking on their own while the two were away.

Zane turned his gaze to the door as it creaked open. His eyes widen in joy as she saw Yana and Ave. "Mom!" The boy yelled as she jumps for an embrace. Yana could not help but smile warmly as she catches the boy in her arms.

"Have I kept you two waiting?" Yana softly asked as Zane shook his head. "No, father and I were talking while you were gone. And..." Zane trailed off as he slowly turned to face Ave who was trying her hardest to avoid his gaze.