Chapter 9

"Ugh.." Ave groaned as she slowly rises from her bed. Her entire body ached miserably as if she had not moved for days. Ave licked her dried and parched lips as she desperately seeks for water, thankfully there was a jar on top of her nightstand.

Ave hurriedly snatched a cup as she poured down a glass of cold water, drowning its contents greedily as she slaked her burning thirst. "Ha..." Ave sighed in satisfaction as one of her desires had been fulfilled so satisfyingly.

Ave stared lazily at the cup in hand as she tried to recall what happened as her head was a chaotic mess. M-miss? Ave blinked in surprise as the voice vividly begins to put the pieces back to their original form. Memories slowly returned to Ave.

"K-kid?" Ave whispered as the voice whispered softly. Y-you can c-call me Laurel... Laurel replied as Ave slowly nodded her head in understanding. "How are you feeling?" Ave asked as Laurel did not reply.

"...Does it still hurt?" Ave asked as Laurel replied weakly. V-very... it hurts very very much. Laurel voice's broke all the way as Ave felt weak for the child. "...Don't hold it in..." Ave whispered as Laurel hesitates.

B-but- "Don't worry lass, we are all in this together..." Ave whispered as Laurel falls deathly silent. Ave was afraid of where Laurel could have gone when a sudden pulsed echoed throughout her psyche. The pang of pain, hate, and fear washed over Ave as if it were her own.

W-why does he do this?? L-Laurel never hated anyone! L-Laurel never hurt anyone! B-but he... he... "Shh, it's ok lass. I'm here." Ave whispered as Laurel's cries resonated within her soul. The pain, the fear, all of it felt so familiar that Ave could not help but feel sorry for the child.

Laurel continues to cry inside as Ave silently waited for her to finish. It took a while, but Laurel finally manages to calm down as Ave smiled inside. "Do you feel better now?" Ave asked as Laurel pulsed in reply. Y-yes... t-thank you miss...

Laurel softly replied as Ave chuckled. "That's good. That is good to hear." Ave replied as she slowly stumbles away from her bed. W-where are we going? Laurel asked in curiosity as Ave's stomach answered for her. O-oh... Laurel replied dumbly as Ave nodded.

"There should be leftovers." Ave mumbled to herself as she opened the door slowly. The world outside was dark. Ave did not know whether it was midnight or dawn as the hallway was eerily silent. T-this is scary... Laurel whispered as Ave could feel the little girl's fear creeping into her skin.

"It's ok lass, I can whack anyone who dares attacks us." Ave replied as she tried to feel unfazed by the emotion and miraculously, Laurel soon followed. R-really? Laurel asked as Ave could feel her uncertain voice slowly creeps in with confidence.

"Of course, I can. So you don't have to worry." Ave replied as they went down a flight of stairs. D-do you have a name miss? Laurel suddenly asked as Ave hesitated to reply. 'Should I tell her Ave? But that is not my whole name is it? Then what should I-' Miss Ave?

Ave suddenly stopped dead in her tracks as Laurel continued. M-miss Ave? Is everything alright? Laurel asked as Ave finally replied. "Y-yes? Ah! No no there is nothing wrong. I was just caught by... surprise..." Ave said as Laurel pulsed in confusion.

What do you mean? Laurel asked as Ave replied. "I thought you could read my mind for a moment there." Ave replied uncertainly as Laurel suddenly grew excited. I-I think you are right! Laurel replied as Ave felt giddy all of the sudden. Hey can you try it again? Laurel wants to try again!

"I-I don't think that is necessary. Beside, I am-" Come on miss Ave! Please? Can we just do it one time? Just one time! I swear just once and no more. So please? Pretty please? Laurel begins to throw off a tantrum as Ave finally relented.