Chapter 8

A/n: I hope you will cry on this one. Or at the very least felt touched.

    "... Do you know why I called you here?" Hale whispered coldly as the entire office was abandoned save for the three. After Leo told Hale and Yana what happened, the family immediately went home ahead of schedule.

There were already rumors floating around the family as soon as they left, though thankfully no one heard or knew what exactly happened. Ave calmly collected herself as she felt worried for the very first time in 10 years.

"I do." Ave answered softly as the duke's face hardened for a moment. Yana fidgets nervously with her fingers as she hesitates to speak. "...Then may I ask why did you do it?" Hale whispered as Ave answered calmly without skipping a beat.

"I only spoke the truth. Nothing more, nothing less." Ave replied as Hale snaps back. "Disowning your brother in front of his friends and making him cry meant nothing to you?" Hale whispered as Ave blinked in surprise. Ave looked confused as she did not expect such a variable.

"I didn't know his majesty was closed. I was sure that we were alone when we-" "That is not the point!" Hale cuts Ave off with a shout as he glared fiercely at Ave. Yana and Ave flinched back in surprise as it was the first time they heard Hale's outburst.

"D-dear we should not raise our voice in front of Ave. It will only-" "But she had gone too far this time!" Hale protest at Yana as Ave gathered her composure. "I-I know, but Laurel is still young. She-" Yana stopped abruptly as Ave squirmed uncomfortably at her seat.

Ave forcefully moved her gaze to the side as Yana soon realized what she had done. "I-I mean..." Yana trailed off as she could not find the words to say. "And there's that too. Your name." Hale said as Ave flinched back in reply.

"T-this is going out of hand dear. We s-should-" "Oh stop pretending you don't notice it Yana. We can't ignore it any longer than it already has!" Yana opened her mouth but could not find the words again as she too wanted to know.

"Why is it you hate your name so much?" Hale asked as Ave felt something pulled inside her head. "Why is it you acted so distant to us after all these years? Are we not your parents? Are you not our child?" Hale asked as he did not let go of his gaze.

"We have never treated you unfairly right? We have loved you, cared for you but why is it you are so cold and distant to us?" Hale said as Yana listen eagerly for her reply. "...Come on baby, at least tell mommy and daddy why. Why are you like this Laurel?" Hale asked as Ave gripped her clothes harder in response.

"...Laurel, look at me..." But Ave did not move. Her entire frame trembled as if she was cold as Hale only felt betrayed by her response. "...Laurel Andre, look at me in the eye... " Hale whispered again only colder this time.

Ave flinched again at his call as she suddenly covered her ears. The two's eyes went wide as Ave blatantly refuses to listen for the first time. "...Why are you covering your ears? Laurel, tell me-!" Ave turned sideways from Hale as if she did not want to listen which enrages Hale.

"Listen to me young lady when I talk!" Hale shouted as if he finally reached the breaking point. His patience seemed to finally run out as he reaches for Ave. "Hale! Let go of her now!" Yana screamed as she slapped Hale's hands before they could reach Ave.

"I am trying to make her understand! She won't listen to us otherwise!" Hale protests as Yana snaps back. "Getting physical won't get us anywhere!" Yana answered as Hale fired back. "Then what do you want me to do??" Hale shouted as his chest felt heavy.

"I have endured a decade of this my love! I cannot do this any longer! I have to know why?!" Hale explained as Yana shook her head violently whilst crying. "You think you are the only one?? I too have to endure this!" Yana cried as Hale flinched back.