Chapter 5

The spar between Ave and Zane soon spread across the household as it tells the tale of Ave's ruthlessness. Rumors take hold almost immediately that day as it was twisted beyond exaggeration, plummeting Ave's already bad image further.

It also did not help when the nobles outside heard the news as Zane was very popular with the young ladies for his stiff yet noble personality. By nightfall, most of the nobles and common masses already condemned Ave's social life beyond salvation.

Yana and Hale tried stamping out these rumors but failed miserably in the end. "... Damn it another dead end." Ave however did not even tried salvaging her falling reputation as she simply went back to her research.

Day in and out, Ave imprisoned herself in the library yet still she did not find anything. Ave glared particularly at the book as if it had betrayed her. "Just how am I supposed to find this bastard..." Ave growled as she slammed the book shut roughly.

She covered her face in frustration as a soft knock sounded before the door. "What?!" Ave hissed as a weak voice answered. "Y-young miss, i-it is about time to prepare for the party." Ave's frowned even further as she slowly walks towards the door.

"What party?" Ave hissed as she opened the door suddenly, surprising a pair of maids. "T-the... t-the..." The maids could not help but stuttered in fright as Ave's face was exceedingly terrifying. "Well? Out with it!" Ave snapped as her patience grew thinner.

"T-the party for Lord Edward's daughter, l-lady Hana my lady." One of the maids managed to stutter out an answer as Ave paused briefly in realization. "Can't I do it later? I am busy." Ave replied as the maids shook their heads.

"W-we can't young miss. The duke and the duchess had already gone with Zane to prepare for your arrival. We need to prepare now." The maids replied as Ave looked confused. "Why would they need to prepare for my arrival?" Ave asked as the maids hesitated.

"I-its because of the rumors young miss..." One of the maids manages to speak as Ave soon realizes. I see... "Tsk." The maids flinched as Ave clicked her tongue loudly before closing the door behind her roughly.

"...Let's go..." Ave whispers back in reply as the maids soon trailed back behind her. ...I have to meet them anyways... Ave thought to herself as she tries to regain control. Perhaps one of those 'capture targets' could prove useful...

Ave entered before a prepared bath with several maids waiting on standby. "Make it fast." Ave whispered as the maids flinched. "B-but my lady the makeup alone would take at least 30 minutes. N-not to mention the massage and-" "Cut everything but the essentials." Ave whispered.

"B-but the duke ordered us to-" "Look, I don't want to be in this position as much as you guys do. The faster we can go on our way the better yes? So let's take a quick bath, put on some clothes and makeup, and be done with it." Ave explained as the maids could not offer a reply.

The maids looked at each other first in hesitation before finally relenting and giving up on Ave's response. The maids did exactly what Ave instructed as they barely took an hour to prepare where it would normally take half a day.

"Y-you look beautiful my lady." The maids whisper in amazement despite the lack of jewelry and heavy makeup. The hidden beauty that lay dormant after all those years had finally emerged. Though it was slightly unnerving for Ave to see such a young face that was not hers glowing with beauty.

Her usual haggard and stiff look was the only thing the maids could see from their lady's side as she refuses to even don the simplest of makeup. They never once thought their lady was an unpolished gem, waiting to be discovered as they gaze at her for the first time in wonder.