Chapter 17

Laurel will always be here. Laurel is sorry she can't tell you now but don't worry! Miss Ave is taking care of us! Zane heavily contemplated these words in silence. He did not know what to do or even what to feel for that matter.

On one hand, he was relieved and beyond joyful as his efforts were not for naught. On the other hand however, he was alarmed and terrified of the other girl who had taken Laurel. She was cold and perhaps even ruthless if she needed to.

Stranger still was how calm he had taken this news. Perhaps it was the years she had spent with the girl as Ave rather than Laurel. He did not know which, but he was sure that there were two of them. And one of them was undoubtedly his sister.

"Zane!" A shout broke through his focus as someone pushed behind him. Zane turned back and give a small smile as Hana, Leo, and Ander were right behind him. "Fancy seeing you here! I thought you were going to mop around as usual!" Leo said with a smile as he nodded back.

"Did something good happen?" Hana asked as Zane paused before replying softly. "I-I guess you could say that." The three smiles widen as they made their way toward the cafeteria. "Really now? Care to share it with us?" Ander asked as Leo followed up.

"Yeah, share it with us, friend! We won't say a word promise!" Leo said as Zane gave off a small smile before speaking softly again. "W-well, me and my sister finally made it out somehow." Zane was about to continue when the three grunted back in reply.

"Oh, your sister huh? R-right she... umm..." Leo tried to follow up but could not find the proper words. Ander had the same difficult expression as Zane was now intrigued. "Did you perhaps meet her along the way?" Zane asked as Leo stiffly nodded back.

"Y-yeah we did... we're even the same class." Leo said uncomfortably as Ander chuckled. "Sucks to be you." Leo scowled as Zane was even more confused. "Did something wrong happen between you two?" Leo hesitated for a moment before regaining back his confidence.

"I'll be honest Zane; your sister is very difficult to come by." Zane somewhat expected this answer but was still surprised when he heard it personally. "Aye, she is... well, difficult to speak shall we say." Ander said as Zane awkwardly scratched his head.

"I-I'm terribly sorry. She is... well, she had always been like that ever since we meet." Zane admitted as the three nodded. "You have it hard too huh?" Leo said as Zane shook his head. "Well before yes, but now she had somewhat changed. I can't tell you what however."

The three drew in from Zane's answer and were about to ask more when a shout interrupted them. The four looked to see another group of four harassing what they could only see as a poor peasant who had crossed them.

Three of them were girls who were hurling insult after insult as the others simply stood by. The three scowled at their actions, particularly Leo as he recognized the fourth one among the group. His younger brother, Kyrie. Kyrie simply watched as he did not even try to stop the three.

"We should go." Leo whispered as the three nodded without a word as they shared the same sentiment. Despite the order of equality, the Ferul Academy still suffered discrimination as the majority of its history was ruled over by those of power.

The order had been relatively young as it barely reached its 10th year since it allowed anyone, to those who were willing at least, to be enrolled. Leo along with his party tried to reign in order amongst the elitists, to empower the common people though it was easier said than done.

A clear example of this was the sight before them. Most of the students around were of common birth and yet they did not even try to defend their own amongst a handful of nobles. The poor girl was trembling and yet no one moved.