2. The Weird Date

Kay had been half a second away from damning everything and standing Jimmy up. After all, this was selfish and would lead to nothing good. Why go on a date if she wasn't expecting to end up with that person? What made her change her mind was when Angie mentioned Jimmy didn't have a phone either and she'd have to identify him by looking for the guy with a book.

First off, who didn't have a phone except for her who was basically held against her will and Angie who was too poor to afford one?

Secondly... A book. He could have used any other indicator, from the color of his shirt to any other gadget or object, and yet, he'd chosen a book.

She had to admit that half the reason she was going was to see what book he'd picked. Maybe it was just a comic book. Maybe it was one of those fancy classics meant to say something about him.

They'd agreed to meet (via Tom and Angie) at a local bar and grill which mostly served fried stuff. She wasn't picky and the place had an outdoor terrace, so it ended up being nice. It was also the kind of place where the fact that Kay had put zero effort into her appearance would go unnoticed. She kind of resented that. She wanted her date to know that she didn't want to be there.

And yet, she glanced around. Most of the tables were filled by large groups of friends. There were some couples too, latching on to each other, kissing so fiercely it made Kay uncomfortable. Had she and Kyle been like that? Though seeing as they'd basically been together for one night, they hadn't even gone on a date.

One night... The thought of it brought tears to Kay's eyes because it had been perfect. From the prom to the way he'd told her that he loved her. Making out, almost going all the way, the band's performance, Kyle pulling her on stage after he won prom king and giving her his crown.

What was she doing? Why was she here? She missed Kyle and wanted him back. She didn't want to get over him.

Her misty eyes landed on the only guy alone at a table who had a book. He wasn't keeping it on the table as an indicator, but actually reading it. Kay frowned and squinted to make sure she got the title right. Quantum Mechanics. Her potential date was reading quantum mechanics at a grill bar.

Curiosity beat away her sadness and she headed over to that table. He didn't seem to notice her, his face buried in the massive book.

"Um, Jimmy?"

He raised his eyes and Kay's heart jumped into her throat. Holy hell, Angie had been right. He was gorgeous. His hair was jet black and his eyes were a brown so dark it almost looked black.

"Hi." He put the book down and stood, towering over her. "You must be Kay."

Kay couldn't even nod as she took him in. He was broad, well built, pulling off a simple combination of jeans and t-shirt marvelously. But it wasn't that which stunned her, but how familiar he looked, how much he reminded her of Kyle.

He titled his head since she was struck dumb, and even that tiny gesture reminded her of Kyle for some reason.

"Yes? No?" he asked with a soft smile.

"Yes, I'm sorry." She shook her head, trying to snap out of it. "I just have this feeling that I've seen you before."

"Entirely possible," Jimmy said with a shrug, pulling out her chair for her.

Okay, this is so weird. But she took her seat, let him maneuver her under the table and watched him as he retook the chair in front of her. He closed the book and watched her with the same easy smile. Yep, Angie had been right. He was really hot.

"So, um..." She drummed her fingers on her knees, not sure what to say. "Quantum mechanics, huh?"

He glanced at the book for a second. "Yeah. It's a fascinating field."