5. Blackmail

Kay hated how good she felt after her supposed date with Jimmy. Even if it hadn't really been a date, talking to someone new about her problems felt liberating. The prospect of help also managed to lift her spirits, even if it would be another few months before she would receive it. She really hoped Tom did his damn best to get into college.

"Tom's very smart," Angie said with a nod. "He really helps me with my homework. And he's worked on all these really complicated projects."

Kay had to admit she was really impressed. Jimmy studying quantum mechanics, Tom keeping up with school even if he had a job...

"It just sucks," she mumbled.

Angie frowned. "What sucks?"

"How hard life can be for good people."

"Yeah." Angie sighed. "Life is hard for all of us, Kay. I'd honestly rather have... Well, I can only guess how you're feeling. But the date seems to have cheered you up."

It had, as much as Kay tried to deny it. A burning curiosity caught hold of her. "Did... Um, did Tom say anything about it?"

The question didn't fool Angie who smirked like a minx. "You mean if Jimmy mentioned you?"

Kay just nodded, not bothering to explain that she just hoped he'd managed to get a respite as well.

"You like him."

"Okay, let's cut to the part where I admit that you were right and he's a really good guy."

"And hot."

"And hot."

"Hotter than Kyle?"

Kay winced. She knew that Angie meant well, that she only wanted to help her get over her heartache, but it still hurt whenever she tries to minimize her relationship, pretend that Kyle wasn't the greatest guy walking this earth. Because he was.

"Not exactly." Because even if there was something certainly similar about them, she couldn't compared them. They were both amazing in their own way.

Angie pouted. "I really need to see this Kyle."

"Me too."

The look on Angie's face morphed from teasing to sad. "I really wish you didn't have to get over him. But as long as you do..."

"I don't. But that doesn't mean I didn't have a good time with Jimmy."

Angie gave her a sad smile. "That's the spirit. Baby steps. Do you want to see him again?"

"Does he want to?" Because even if she did, she could appreciate how busy he was.

"I'll ask around. Maybe I can give you an answer."

Kay just nodded, actually looking forward to one. Because holy hell, was she sick of her parents. The time she didn't spend in boring business school she tried to fill with as many classes as possible, but she came to realize that those were eating out of her savings because her parents really didn't want to have anything to do with any potential growth. As far as they were concerned, they waited for the life to seep out of her so that she'd finally give up and marry Donnie. Who, by the way, hadn't even proposed. After Kay kicked him in the nuts as hard as she could, she doubted he ever would.

Fortunately, as she finished her afternoon shift at the diner, Angie appeared with news, a great big grin on her face.

"Surprise, surprise. Jimmy does want to see you again. He apparently likes you."

The news, though positive, had Kay's insides squirming. Yes, she'd mentioned she was in love with Kyle and he'd offered to help her find him, but what if he didn't actually get the message? She did want him to like her, but as a friend, not as a potential love interest.