3. The Heiress

All eyes in the room turned to Kyle, including the ones of his supposed future wife. They were forest green, which was all types of wrong. Her hair was orange and curly, falling down to her waist, not golden.

She wasn't Kay and this wasn't happening. Except he wasn't exactly sure if he should be backtracking to his room and try going out the window or just continue his way down, sail past them and out into the night.

"A bit underdressed now, aren't you?" his father said with a fake smile.

Yes, of course, since he only had jeans, a t-shirt and his leather jacket on instead of a suit. At least his jeans were hole-free.

"Oh no," the new girl said with a smile. "He's perfectly dressed. He looks like a rock star."

Kyle fought the impulse to roll his eyes, but realized it would be a bit too rude to turn his back on everyone, so he abandoned his backpack on the stairs and made his way down. The girl came towards him and reached out her hand. She wore a long, tight leather dress with no cleavage and a slit on the side.

"Hi, I'm Jessica."

Ugh. Poor girl. This was probably not her fault. Maybe she didn't want to marry him either and was only putting on a show. Though, if she was, it was a good one.

"Kyle," he mumbled, taking her hand and shaking.

She gave him a dazzling smile and pulled herself towards him in a hug. His entire body stiffened at the contact.

"Try to act natural," she whispered in his ear.

He tightened his hold on her. "Do you want to get married?" he whispered back.

"No."

It was all he needed to relax, and when he let her go and she pulled away, he smiled back at her honestly.

"Well, you two seem to be hitting it off," the strange woman who could only be Jessica's mothers said. Her voice was annoyingly nasal.

"Well," Jessica said, wrapping her arm around Kyle's waist. "I realize that you were right. He is worth the hype."

Kyle fought to smile back and not cringe or stiffen, but this reminded him too much of when him and Kay were pretending to be together to stop a bet on who would take her virginity. Turned out, nobody did, not even him. The memory hurt.

Jessica seemed to feel it because her grip on him tightened and her gaze turned curious. Then, for some reason, it turned sad.

"This is just wonderful," Maxi said, clutching her hands in front of her.

"Indeed," Jessica's father said. "It's good to see young people getting along and not bein moody."

Jessie tensed at his affirmation, but the smile stayed on her face. Kyle could detect something was wrong and it made him curious. He also instantly hated it because it reminded him of how his relationship with Kay had started. Curiosity over an abusive boyfriend. Jessica seemed to be hiding something similar.

"We now all about moody youngsters," Freider laughed and Kyle just wanted to punch him in the face.

"They shouldn't be moody. Especially since fans don't want to see sulky people," Jessica's mom piped in.

"Fans?" Kyle couldn't help asking looking down at her. It was obvious she was trying very hard not to groan.

"Yes, our Jessica is an overnight sensation," her father claimed. "The next big thing on the music stage!"

"I'm not that big, Dad," she said with an eyeroll. "And that's not why I'm here." 

She raised on the tips of her toes and came closer. Kyle had to fight the impulse to pull away and push her back down.