12. Don't Dream, It's Over

"Wow, you're excited."

Kay really was, even if she couldn't fully understand why. Angie had of course picked up on it since her mood had obviously improved. The reason, however, was a bit odd.

"Does it have something to do with a certain someone being back in town?" Angie persisted, narrowing her eyes at her over her mountain of homework.

It did. It unexpectedly did. "I can't say I'd mind having him back around."

Angie smiled to herself and returned to writing in her notebook. "I bet he missed you, too."

Kay wasn't sure why, but she hoped he had, too. Because she hadn't expected to miss Jimmy so much either. It had only been a week, but just being unable to head over to the service to talk to him had plunged her back into the depression she'd been fighting ever since her parents had whisked her away. And now it was somehow worse because she had two people to miss.

"You girls want a refill on coffee?" Tom asked, coming by their table with a full pot.

"Yes, please." Kay pushed her cup forward.

"I--"

"Yes, you want a latte," Tom said with a smile. "I'll get you one right away." And he headed back towards the bar.

Angie nearly swooned out loud before returning to her homework.

"He really looks out for you," Kay observed.

"Yeah, I guess he does."

"Are you ready to admit it then?"

"Admit what?" But from the way she blushed, Kay was sure she knew exactly what she meant.

"Are you at least dating properly?"

Her question seemed to have been answered once Tom appeared with Angie's latte and a tiny rose. He left the drink for her, kissed her on the cheek, and headed back for the bar to finish his shift.

"I don't know," Angie whispered, taking the flower and turning it over in her hand. "We never really put a label on it."

Kay knew all about that. "Do you want to kiss him?"

Angie's blush only darkened. "I..."

"Don't you dare say no. If it wasn't for Kyle, I'd want to kiss him."

"Kyle and Jimmy," Angie said.

Kay was a little shocked that she was right. If she'd never met Kyle, she would've probably been head over heels for Jimmy right now. But Kyle had set the bar unbelievably high and the simple thought of ever kissing anyone else made her sick. And it scared her, because even with Jimmy's help, there was no guarantee that she'd find him. What if she never saw him again?

Fortunately, her bleak thoughts were interrupted by Jimmy's appearance and she found herself smiling. There seemed to be something different about him, like he was lighter, more relaxed. Happier.

"Hey guys," he said, dropping in the seat next to Kay's. "Nice to see you all here."

Tom immediately materialized by their table. "Coffee, sir?"

Jimmy laughed. "No, I'm good."

"You do look good. Well rested." Tom tilted his head. "What happened?"

Jimmy grinned and he seemed to suddenly shine. "I guess I needed a break."

"Job went well I take it," Angie said.

"You guys seemed to be going well, too."

"Don't make this about us." Tom slid in the seat next to Angie's. His apron was off so it was obvious that he'd finished his shift just in time for his brother's appearance. "What happened?"