14. Choked

Kay glanced in the mirror. She hadn't ever put on blood red lipstick, but right now, the occasion seemed fitting. That, together with a thin eyeliner and mascara was the only makeup she would wear.

Like in a fever dream, she remembered Kyle mentioning that she didn't need makeup, that she was beautiful just the way she was. She'd believe him. And she still believed him now. After all, her growth was organic, not tied to him. He'd made sure of that.

Yes, she was beautiful. And a lot of good that did since he found someone else. Jessica was beautiful as well. Kay couldn't deny it as much as she wanted to hate her.  And a part of her would've felt offended if Kyle had gone for someone much worse, way out of his league. The thought of them together made Kay sick, so she decided to stop thinking about it and focus on what needed to be done.

Crushing Kyle.

And just for that, she'd put on a pair of black skinny jeans, the blue off-the-shoulder top she'd changed into at prom and the high heel sandals she'd worn then. He'd surely remember her outfit, how he almost took all of it off, how they almost... She shuddered. Was it bad that she still regretted the interruption, even under the circumstances? He's surely slept with Jessie. They were engaged after all.

No, no crying. She would not ruin her makeup. Instead, she would get up, walk out, go to this concert and do what she had to do.

She could still do it, go down the stairs and head for the door all confident and everything. It wasn't the end of the world. Nothing was. She'd just do this one thing and then move on with her life.

"Kathy, where are you going?" 

She froze as her mother stepped out of the kitchen. She took in her daughter's outfit with a forced frown Kay had come to associate with Cassandra appreciating her outfit but not wanting to say anything positive about it.

"I'm going out with Angie and her boyfriend," she lied immediately. After such a long time, it had become second nature, all sense of guilt vanishing when her own parents decided to kidnap her.

"Really?" Cassandra pursed her lips. "Angie has a boyfriend?"

"Yes. Why?"

Her mother didn't answer, but continued to stare as if searching for ways to play the situation to her advantage. "And you're going to be a third wheel? That's unfitting. Unless you take Donnie with you and make it a double date."

Donnie had suddenly become such a none-issue, Kay didn't even see the point in fighting this. "Okay," she said instead. "I'll call him on my way out and go pick him up."

"You don't have to call me. I'm here." Donnie strutted out of the kitchen, a devious grin on his face, as if he could tell she was lying and he was ruining her plans.

Which was true, but she wouldn't get thwarted because she was running late. "Okay, fine. Get in, then."

Her acceptance brought shock to both his mother and her ex's face, but Kay had no time for their bullshit. She had her own drama to take care of, so she turned her back on them and headed out of the house. Donnie hurried out after her and got in the passenger seat before she could lock the doors and keep him out.

"Where are you really going?" he asked, fastening his seatbelt as she drove off.

Damn, now she couldn't brake and smash his face against the dashboard. "I'm actually going to a concert. Want me to drop you off somewhere?"

He narrowed his eyes at her. "Drop me off?"

"It's just us. You don't have to pretend that you still want to get with me."