24. Reunion Tour

Being on tour was an entirely different experience.

Kay had always liked hanging out with Kyle's band, but she hadn't actually had the experience of being on the road with them. Not that she was now, but the idea of seeing them soon warmed her heart. Until then, she had a new group to share wild experiences with. One made out of mostly strangers who had rapidly become her friends.

It was so hard to believe that she'd only known Jessie for a few days. That a month ago, she had no idea Jimmy existed or what Tom looked like. Now, she felt like that'd formed some sort of pack in which she felt strong and protected. And free. After what felt like forever, she was free.

Once they'd left Tucson, she'd bought her first phone in almost a year. It felt great to have one again, one that belonged solely to her and for which she could choose who she gave the number to. The first thing she did was call Kelly.

Needless to say, she was ecstatic that Kay had come out of hiding and she couldn't wait to see her best friend. Kay felt the same. Going back to their small Taxas town was something she was very much looking forward to. Integrating her two lives into one perfect one.

Joey was already taking care of organizing their concerts, shutting Macy down with the speed of light.

"I don't like this," Macy muttered. "Who even is this guy?"

"Trust me," Kyle said, strumming on his guitar, " he knows what he's doing. Relax, Macy. Take a break."

The woman huffed. "A break." She muttered it like a blasphemy, but headed for the front of the bus either way, leaving them alone.

"She doesn't know how to take a break," Jessie mumbled before putting her headphones back on and focusing on her notebook again.

Kay rested her head against Kyle's shoulder, enjoying just being with him. With all of them. The bus was more like an RV, so they had space to move around. Which was great, really. Tom and Angie sat on one of the couches, cuddled together. She was actually reading a book while Tom also had headphones on and was drumming his fingers to the rhythm of what was probably one of Jessie's songs, since he was now the designated drummer.

Kay couldn't remember when she'd last felt this peaceful. And even if she enjoyed it, a big part of her was anxious to reach their destination.

"I can't wait to get there," she said.

Kyle kissed her hair and leaned his cheek on top of her head. "Me neither. It's going to be something, seeing everyone again."

Getting their lives back. He didn't say it, but it was obvious that was how he felt. She did as well. But it raised a few issues.

"Are you going to see Max?"

He stiffened. "I don't know. I haven't decided yet."

"Do you think he knew about Jessie?" she whispered.

"That's what makes me unsure if I want to see him. Because if he did know..."

He didn't have to go on. It would have been an even bigger betrayal, especially since Max had caught them kissing before sending Kyle away and knew how he felt, how much Kay meant to him. Knowing about Jessie would have been breaking them apart on purpose. And as much as Kay had always liked Max, she wasn't sure she could overlook something like that.

Jessie took her headphones off with a content sigh.

"Finally got it right?" Kyle asked with a grin.

"Yeah...Some things just fall into place after..." Her gaze wondered the space, most likely searching for Jimmy even if she knew he was up front with the driver. "After the right experiences. Speaking of which, I was thinking... Where would you guys like to go from Texas?"