Chapter 27. Serenity Part 1

Nathan's P.O.V

I tried to call Xander after reading the troublesome article. It seemed like Xander had turned off his phone to avoid people. I decided to call his office when I got to work. I got busy with work and forgot about the whole thing. My phone rang while I was having lunch with my father. I walked out of my father's office when I saw that Xander was trying to reach me. Xander uttered the moment I answered my phone, "I'm sorry, Nathan. Elijah dropped my phone on the patio this morning. His dog picked it up and started chewing on it. We had a busy morning. It took Kevin some time to set up a new mobile for me."

I tried to calm Xander down by saying, "It's alright, Xander. I'm glad that you called me. I was worried about Elijah and you. I'm sorry about the article. Someone must have sold the pictures of you two to the publisher." Xander signed, then stated, "We already found out who it was. I'm not mad about it, though. I was planning to share the news with the world anyway. It made things easier for me. I won't hide my son. He needs a social life too." I chuckled and said, "I'm proud of you, Xander. You must be busy with the event."

Xander groaned, then declared, "You can't imagine how much work goes into organizing such an event. Suddenly, everyone wants to showcase their cars and products. We're trying to figure out how to give the small companies a chance to sell their products. They need the exposure as much as the large companies do." I smiled while thinking about Xander. He wasn't as arrogant as people thought. My father was leaving for a meeting. I waved goodbye to him, then said to Xander, "That's what I love the most about you, Xander. You always try to accommodate people. I guess we won't see each other this week then."

I chuckled when Xander said, "How dare you say that? I want to see you after the event. We can spend the night at a hotel or my house. Take your pick. I have to go now. I'll see you soon, Nathan. Bye." I bid Xander farewell, then looked at the cloudy sky. I hoped that it wouldn't rain on Saturday. I wanted Xander to have a successful event. I went back to work after finishing my meal. The day of the event arrived before I knew it. Carter's father's birthday and the event were on the same day. So my family wouldn't be able to join me.

I woke up early Saturday morning. I went to the park and the gym with Jax. I was home alone. I slept the whole day. I knew that parking would be a problem at the event. So I left early. I still got stuck in traffic and arrived when the drag race was about to start. I sent Xander a text, then walked to the stadium with Jax. The dog kept an eye on everyone. He relaxed when I told him that I was safe. I wasn't surprised when Xander's team won the race. Frankie was a skilled driver. People didn't hire him due to his bad temper.

Xander texted me after the drag race. He wanted me to meet him in the conference hall. He told me that he would be leaving after giving some interviews. I decided to freshen up before meeting Xander. Jax was thirsty too. I helped my dog drink, then took out my phone to see if I had received any messages. Krista had sent me a video of my parents. Jax pricked up his ears when he heard my father's voice. My father was singing karaoke with my uncle. My mother was dancing like a maniac to the tunes. Krista looked into the camera, then yelled, "Save me, Nathan. They have all gone crazy!"

Carter picked up Krista and uttered, "It's time to dance you silly goose." Krista squealed with glee. Carter winked at me, then turned off the phone. I patted Jax's head, then sent Krista a message. I was about to turn off my phone when I heard a child scream. A man was standing by the door with a little girl. The little girl seemed to be afraid of Jax. I stroked Jax's head and uttered, "Stay." I walked toward the girl, then crouched down before her. The little girl's father looked at me in astonishment. I grabbed the girl's hand, then said, "It's okay, darling. My friend doesn't bite."

The little girl peeked at Jax and asked me, "The dog is your friend?" I nodded at the girl, then stated, "Yeah. He protects me every day. He's my service dog, you see. I wouldn't be able to live a normal life without him. Jax is the nicest dog in the world. So please don't be afraid of him." The girl's father gazed at Jax's service dog harness. I smiled at the little girl and asked her, "Would you like to meet him?" The little girl smiled shyly at me. I called out to Jax, then stroked his back. The girl looked in awe at the dominating dog.