Reminiscences of No Man's Land

"Did it hurt?" Alfred asked Helena right after the nurse finished taking a blood sample from a vein in her arm. They were in the room where Alfred had installed the girl. It was past noon and Helena had just woken up.

"It's just a needle, Alfred."

"You are a very brave girl." Alfred said touching the girl's nose.

"But why do I need to take a blood test?"

"I just want to know if you're okay." Alfred lied.

"I'm not sick. My mother who is. When can I see her?"

"Soon." The butler said after signing some papers that the nurse gave him. "I will accompany Miss Neri to the exit. Be right back."

Alfred went down the stairs along with the nurse, leading her to the exit of the mansion. He had barely closed the door after the nurse had left, when the butler heard the alarm in the garage informing him that Bruce had arrived home.

Alfred went to the garage, where he knew his master would be.

"Welcome, master Bruce." He greeted when he saw the man who was wearing travel clothes and was typing something on cell phone.

"Thanks, Alfred." Bruce said without looking at him.

"It's back so soon..." Alfred commented not knowing where to start what he had to tell.

"It's been a day since I left." Bruce said as he lifted his head to look at the butler. "I wanted to know where you took Selina's daughter..."

Alfred was startled.

"I know you brought her daughter from the orphanage..."

"Yes, I brought the girl... but how... how do you know...?" the butler asked surprised.

"Long story, Alfred. Where is she?"

"I'm here."

Bruce and the butler looked at the door that connected the garage to the mansion. A skinny girl dressed in black was staring at them.

"What a fucking garage!" The girl said approaching the two as she looked around, Bruce looked at her openmouthed.

"Look at the language, young lady." Alfred scolded her, more out of habit than anything.

"And you, who are you?" Helena asked now very close to Bruce, looking up and down. The Prince of Gotham remained silent.

"He's Mr. Wayne, the owner of the house."

"Oh, you were my mother's friend?" She said looking right at Bruce, as if she were inspecting him.

"Yes, I was." Bruce managed to verbalize.

"You're rich, huh?" Helena said with a whistle as she looked around at the many parked cars. "My mother doesn't like rich people ..." she continued talking as she walked away from Bruce and approached one of the imposing cars that were nearby. "But she said I could trust Alfred," she continued as she touched the car "so I guess I can trust you too, don't you?"

"Of course, you can." Bruce said following the girl who, in a single quick and graceful movement, had climbed on the hood of one of the cars and sat in it.

"You shouldn't go up there, young lady. It can be dangerous, it's no place to play!" Alfred hurried to say.

"All right, Alfred." Helen retorted. "I've been to higher places..."

"But you shouldn't be there, Selina."

Helena and Bruce quickly looked at Alfred, who fell silent, agitated.