Diamonds, looks and stolen wallets

Selina looked at her reflection in the mirror as she pulled on the long white gloves. She was wearing a long, black, sparkly cocktail dress that had a beautiful V-neckline, well-defined waist, and a side slit that made her look very elegant. The thief laughed when she looked in the mirror and realized that anyone could mistake her for a lady of high society. Still chuckling at the idea, she opened the square black velvet box that had been left next to the dress.

When she opened the box, she was stunned by the beautiful diamond necklace I had there. The necklace was accompanied by diamond earrings that formed a set.

Selina loved diamonds.

Because she adored them, she knew those were priceless.

For a second, she imagined that if she ran off with those jewels, she could have a good life with Helena. But that thought only lasted seconds. Something there wouldn't let her runaway. This was the first time she had diamonds to use and not steal.

Selina then put on the jewels and admired them for a long time.

"They were perfect on you."

Bruce was standing in the bedroom doorway, dressed in a tuxedo that must have cost more than Selina's old apartment, and as immaculate as ever.

"Is it some kind of joke you wanted to make?" Selina asked. "Diamonds for a diamond thief..."

"I didn't know you stole diamonds..." Bruce said approaching until he saw her reflection in the mirror. "As far as I knew, you stole to survive."

"Touché." Selina replied. "It's yours?"

"It's part of my mother's jewelry." Bruce replied looking her up and down. "It's look prettier on you than on a cold safe. By the way, you are gorgeous."

Selina shivered at the way Bruce was looking at her. She hadn't known what it was like to be looked at like that for years. There was no malice, as the other men looked at her, there was only genuine admiration.

"I think we should go." She spoke. Selina wanted to get out of there as fast as she could.

"Yes, Selina." Bruce agreed before she left. "I only came to ask you to be careful when you are among the powerful of Gotham, these people can be cruel."

"Bruce, don't worry." She said turning to him after picking up the bag. "It seems like you don't know me anymore. They're the ones who need to be careful with me."

***

There was a lot of surprise when Bruce showed up at the Gotham Children's Hospital fundraiser accompanied by Selina and her little heiress.

People did not expect the billionaire playboy to be so bold as to appear with the woman pointed out by the tabloids as a call girl, much less with his alleged heiress, confirming what the tabloids announced. What they couldn't predict was how pretty and elegant the supposed call girl was, and how much the child Bruce held by her hand bore a striking resemblance to him.

Bruce had requested that he and his guests have their own table, so as soon as they entered, he took Selina and Helena to the table of honor where the three of them would be.

"It's alright?" He asked worried as soon as they arrived at the table.

"Oh, Bruce, stop. We are fine. Look at Helena's worried face." Selina said looking at Helena who approached a waiter and was now get the snacks on the tray that the man was serving.

"Wonderful. I'll need take the stage." Bruce said when he heard his being called by Mayor James who was presenting the ceremony.

"Can I go with you, daddy?" Helena said, she got up and quickly swallowing the last snacks.