Confrontation

In the days that followed, Bruce and Helena quickly grew closer.

Helena didn't let go of Bruce when he was at home, which was something very strange for the man, he was never used to this kind of attention. Not even Selina was so affectionate with him, but Helena was like a puppy that was always looking for attention.

He took care of his daughter whenever she had nightmares, or she appeared in his bed at night, and he only noticed when he saw her next to his in the morning. Bruce would read to her for hours in the library, detective stories to which the girl listened intently. Sherlock Holmes soon became Helena's favorite character. He even watched TV with the girl and regularly took her to see Selina at the hospital. Selina's condition remained the same, but Helena had given Bruce new hope. He could see Selina in her every day, and he could see himself in many moments. It was strange but fascinating.

In parallel, Bruce followed his activities as a Gotham vigilante, which took up all his remaining time. During all this, he still found time to do his own investigation into Lex Luthor and his relationship with Selina and Helena, for which he enlisted the help of a new friend.

And just because of that, that Saturday afternoon, more than a month after Helena arrived at Wayne Manor, Bruce had a visitor while he was tending the horses in the mansion's stable.

"Clark, to what do I owe your visit?" Bruce asked the reporter as he caressed the mane of one of the horses. "Did you get any important information?"

"Nothing that puts Luthor on Selina's case." Clark replied. "But I came to warn you that he will be in Gotham tonight. And I don't think it will be for anything."

"Tonight, is the gala at the Gotham Museum of Modern Art. The museum is sponsored by my company. I must be there. Do you think Luthor will do something?"

"Knowing Luthor, I think maybe he just wants to look at you... measure strength... but it's not good to leave Helena and Selina alone. He must know you'll be busy and as I know he'll be coming with all the goons, I thought I'd better come to Gotham so you can go find him, I'll keep an eye in Selina and Helena. I'll patrol here and at the hospital."

"That would be great, Clark. Thanks." Bruce said putting his hand on the reporter's shoulder. "Let's go inside, Alfred made tea."

Clark and Bruce returned to the mansion. Obviously, the world's future greatest detective already knew that his new journalist friend was the same alien guy from Metropolis who wore his underwear over his clothes, and the Kriptoniano, knew that Gotham's billionaire went out every night to watch over the city.

They were both cooperating to protect Selina and Helena, just as they would cooperate many times in the future to save the world.

***

Bruce was late to the Gotham Museum of Modern Art's dance.

He arrived late, holding a half-full bottle of very expensive whiskey, and flanked by a gorgeous Swedish top model, specially bred to accompany the billionaire down the red carpet.

Bruce was perfectly dressed in the reckless playboy mantle he'd taken on months earlier when he returned to Gotham.

After delivering a purposefully laudatory and generic speech about the event, he continued to maintain his role as he scanned the room full of bigwigs looking for one.

And it was when he again returned to the bar to get another drink that he would pretend to drink, that Bruce was approached by the person he was looking for.

"Mr. Wayne, nice to meet you."

Lex Luthor appeared holding out his hand.

Summoning up all the coolness he had, Bruce squeezed Lex's hand back and cracked a smile.

"Mr. Luthor, it's a pleasure. What brings you to Gotham?"

"You, Mr. Wayne." Luthor said looking at him. "I would like know you."

"Many people would like." Bruce joked. "Well, but if You'll interested in doing business with Wayne Enterprises, you can contact Lucius Fox, our CEO, I don't take care of those technical things..."

Luthor kept smiling.

"No, Mr. Wayne. I believe my dealings with you are different..." He said approaching Bruce's ear where he spoke softly: "Tell me something, the beauty girl you arrived with know that you have just taken on nine-year-old daughter years and who keeps vigil for a woman in a coma at Gotham Hospital?" Bruce undid the fake smile.

"I think this is none of her business."

"Well, it makes sense. Men of our rank always have dirty secrets. I have mine too, Mr. Wayne."

"I can figure" Bruce said seriously. "But now tell me the truth, Mr. Luthor, why have you come to my city and looking for me?"

"You took something I want." Luthor went straight. "And I came to tell you that I'll take it back."

"Selina doesn't belong to you." Bruce looked at him.

"I think you're wrong, I paid very well and for a long time that whore..."

"Selina is not a whore." Bruce replied, holding on to the last bit of reason.

"It wasn't what it looks like when I paid her to suck my dick..."

Bruce's last bit of reason gave way. He only remembers being on top of Luthor, punching him in the face with all the strength he could muster. He remembers the screaming, the blood splattering his clenched fist, the photographic flashes, and someone very strong pulling him off Luthor and quickly pulling him away.

When Clark threw him into the backseat of the limousine, Bruce was still growling.

"I'll kill him! I will kill him!"

"You are not going." Clark said holding Bruce to he didn't get out of the car. "Easy, cowboy."

"I'll go back there and finish him!"

"Bruce, if you move then I'll have to knock you out" Clark said calmly. "Now calm down... You already told me that you would never kill anyone..."

"But I can leave him mortally wounded." Bruce said, anger blinding him. "This asshole came here just to tease me, Clark. Just for that! Wait... what are you doing here? Weren't you going to take care of Helena?"

"I'm taking care."

Speaking of which, the window that separated the back seat of the limousine from the driver lowered and Helena appeared smiling at her from the front seat, Alfred was on her side driving.

"Hi Daddy! Mr. Clark took us for a ride. He said he would come get you."

Bruce didn't smile back.

"Helena, close that window, Clark and I need to talk ..." Bruce ordered in a tone that Helena already understood that she should respect, so she obeyed him without saying anything.

***

Bruce still took some time to calm down and he only relaxed a little when he checked with Lee Thompkins that Selina was safe in the Hospital. Clark returned to Metropolis after dropping their off at the mansion, and Bruce still had to compose himself to put Helena to bed. The girl demanded her father's presence after finding out that Luthor was in town.

After his daughter slept, Bruce was heading down the stairs of the mansion to go to the cave when his cell phone rang.

"Bruce Wayne."

"Bruce, it's Lee. It's about Selina. She disappeared from the hospital."

Bruce didn't have time to respond. When turning around in the dark, He noticed a figure coming towards him.

He just felt the shove against the wall and saw the angry green eyes.

"Where is my daughter?"