Birthday party - Part II

"Isn't everything beautiful, Bruce?" Silver asked as Bruce led her arm in arm through the Wayne mansion's ballroom. Bruce scanned the room for any security breaches he might have missed and barely heard Silver's comments about the important guests arriving.

"Everything is perfect, Silver." He laughed politely to the socialite.

But the truth is, he was restless. That party had generated another crisis with Selina, just now that he'd made progress in his relationship with his daughter's mother. And why did he feel bad when he and Selina were bad? That question circled around in his keen mind. When it came to Selina Kyle, he was far from perceptive. Bruce just wanted the night to pass soon, for him to have no more conflicts with Selina and for both her and Helena to be safe.

Silver was unaware of everything that was going on in his partner's mind, so he took him from one side to the other through the ballroom. They had already greeted the governor, the mayor, the entire board of Wayne Enterprises, and many other Gotham bigwigs. Bruce considered himself a strong man, but he didn't know if he could put up with all this boredom long enough. When he was about to succumb to the doldrums, he found guests he really wanted to greet. Gordon was there with Lee Thompkins and little Barbara, who at that moment was running somewhere in the hall along with Helena. He'd also run into Clark, who had arrived earlier that night and who was accompanied by Lois, his coworker who Bruce knew his friend had a crush on.

But someone was missing. She wasn't anywhere in the room and if she was, he'd know why she always drew attention. And just when Bruce thought she wouldn't be there and thought about how stubborn and proud she was, she appeared right in front of him.

And she looked beautiful in a white satin gown trimmed with black lace detailing that seemed to be sewn over her curves. She could be a bride.

The most beautiful of all.

"Hi baby, happy birthday." Selina spoke completely ignoring Silver who was beside Bruce. "I don't think I've given you your gift yet."

Then, she kissed him.

Bruce was taken aback for a second. She was always a second ahead of him. But in the next instant, he was kissing her back with intensity, as if they were completely alone.

But they weren't. Hundreds of pairs of eyes were resting on them at that moment. It was Selina who interrupted the kiss. She smiled discreetly with legitimate satisfaction.

"You do many things very well, bat." She said in his ear before walking away. "Kissing is one of those things"

"Oh, hello, Silver..." Selina greeted the blonde before walking away from the two.

When Selina walked away, Bruce was still looking at her.

"You could at least disguise that you're looking at her ass." Silver grumbled angrily beside him.

Bruce didn't respond, his eyes and thoughts were too busy.

***

It was after midnight and it was surprising to Bruce, but everything was going great at that party. Silver had left him a bit behind after Selina had kissed him, and he'd been talking to Gordon and Clark for most of the night. Selina was on one of the sofas with Lois and Helena was playing with Gordon's daughter, always under Alfred's watchful eyes. It looked like there would be no more surprises that night.

It just looked.

***

"Master Bruce, I need you to accompany me to the library." Alfred asked as he approached Bruce. It was almost one in the morning.