Magic

Bruce reread the note on his pillow a dozen times. Along with the note, Selina left her engagement ring.

Bat,

You said we are the same. If we're the same, I know you wouldn't allow lose me and Helena. You would not allow anything to happen to me or Helena. So, like you, I don't allow anyone to hurt you or my daughter.

I need to end this threat once and for all.

Please don't look for me. And take care of Helena.

Always yours,

Cat

When Bruce woke up the sun had already set again, and it was already night in Gotham. He had slept all night and day. He immediately realized that Selina had sedated him, probably she had put something in the champagne glass.

As he dressed, Bruce blamed himself for it. He never let his guard down. Never. He was always ready for anything. Only Selina had that power to make him let his guard down, to leave him unprepared.

She was always a second away from his hands.

***

He went straight down to the cave, by that time he found the garage alarm off and that one of his cars was missing and was parked in an alley in Metropolis.

Pausing only to contact Clark and to briefly explain what had happened to Alfred, he left the cave bound for Metropolis, but not like Bruce Wayne.

That night he was the Batman.

***

Selina had managed to get into the Luthor Corp penthouse just before dawn.

When Ivy had been at the mansion, she had given her directions to where Luthor slept, on the penthouse of the main Luthor Corp building. The former friend had explained to Selina about the security system in the luxurious apartment and the thief had figured out the rest on her own. Ivy had told Selina to attack Luthor while he slept as it was the only time the man was vulnerable as Luthor had insomnia and took strong drugs to get to sleep. Selina wanted to see the fear in the eyes of the bastard who shot her, but she took Ivy's suggestion and opted for the safer option.

Selina walked around the apartment looking for the master bedroom and was elated at how easily she had managed to access the place via the main elevator.

It looked too easy.

And maybe her instincts were a little rusty because she hadn't realized it until too late.

She only realized it was a trap when she felt Luthor's possessive arm grab her around the neck.

"I liked the cat outfit..." He said in her ear. "I already suspected that the Gotham thief was you... Selina Kyle."

Before Selina could slash him with her sharp claws, Luthor had increased the pressure on her neck. Within seconds she was unconscious, still thinking about the trap Ivy had set for her.

***

"Why haven't you killed me yet, Lex?" Selina asked when she woke up and Luthor was standing in front of her. She sat on the cot where she had been left and observed that she was in a small, gray-walled cell.

"You know Selina, you could have owned all this..." Luthor said casually.

"Or I could have ended up in an unmarked grave like several of your ex-lovers." he replied petulantly.