The Wine Lord

"So, this is the city of Mondstadt." Xiao looked around with a frown. He was clearly not impressed. "It's... very human."

Aether smiled at the yaksha but didn't comment. He had been rather impressed by the sight the first time. But after seeing Liyue, he had to admit he preferred the Geo Archon's realm over the others so far. Though, Inazuma's city was second place. The colors were beautiful there; despite the lingering danger of the decree.

Turning his attention forward, Aether watched as Thoma took in the sights. The spear-wielder looked a slight bit out of place in his unusual attire, but he seemed as if he were at home all the same.

"Should we get a room for tonight?" Aether asked.

"Ooh! A nice warm bed! It's been so long!" Paimon squealed.

"It has been a good few days, hasn't it?" Thoma replied. "Do you know a place?"

"Well..."

"Hmph! We always camp! Even when we are here! Let's find a place this time! Paimon insists!"

Aether chuckled. "Alright, we can find one."

"I'd prefer camping..." Xiao said softly. The look on his face said he didn't really care much for the amount of people stuffed so close together in the city. He didn't care much for Liyue either, there were more people there. But at least Liyue had the sea and the city was a bit more spread out. So it seemed anyway.

"Is there anyone you want to check on, Thoma?" Aether asked, effectively changing the subject.

Thoma was quiet for a while. For a moment, Aether didn't think he would respond. He was about to apologize for asking when Thoma finally spoke. "No. It's alright. I'm just happy to visit. What about you? We can visit friends if you'd like. I'm happy to meet anyone you know."

"I know! Let's go check in on Diluc!"

"You just want free food," Aether returned.

Paimon scoffed and stomped her tiny foot in air. "No! Paimon is genuinely curious and concerned. It's just that free food comes with it."

"Sure it is," Thoma laughed. "Well, let's go!"

"Alright, to Angel's Share."

"If we must..." Xiao grumbled. He stepped in close to Aether, keeping the Traveler right next to him, their shoulders brushing as they walked. Behind them, Paimon and Thoma were the picture perfect pair of tourists. Excited over every little thing they passed. Aether rolled his eyes at Paimon's excitement. Many of the things the two were looking at she'd seen many times before with Aether. Perhaps she was just playing along with Thoma to keep up the excitement.

Just ahead, the Angel's Share came into view. Aether sighed in happiness. The faded painting of a giant glass of red wine on the wall was always a warming sight. I hope Diluc is in today, Aether thought as he reached for the door and pushed it open.

The familiar scent of alcohol stung his nose and Xiao covered his face. Aether didn't mind it. It was a mix of sweet and a sharp sour. At the bar, with his back to the door was a young man in fancy black dress. His fire red hair was barely kept back in a low ponytail that curled down his back in wicked waves.

A bright smile broke over Aether's face. "Diluc."

"We're back!" Paimon shouted gleefully.

Diluc slowly turned to face the group. His brilliant red eyes took in everyone that followed Aether. He sighed and immediately, Aether felt a knot in his chest.

"What's wrong?" Hurrying to the bar, Aether took his seat in a stool and leaned in close.

Diluc glanced at the others. "Friends?"

"Yes. This is Thoma, and this is Xiao."

"You came at a really bad time," Diluc said and the touch of anger in his voice couldn't be missed.

"What? Why? What happened? Is it the Abyss again?" Paimon rapidly shot off.

Diluc grimaced and Aether knew the answer before Diluc even said a word. He spoke for the red haired man. "It's an Abyss Herald. Isn't it."

Diluc nodded. "Their threats have increased. More hilichurls getting close to the city again. It keeps the Knights busy, which is their goal. But the Herald. I encountered him a few nights ago," Diluc shook his head.

"Can we help?" Thoma asked suddenly.

"You?" Diluc's tone said it all. He was surprised and a little irritated.

Thoma didn't when flinch. "Mondstadt is my home too even if I don't look the part. And we are here now, we can't just leave it alone. Especially since we know there's a problem, right Aether?"

Aether smiled. "Exactly. Let us help. I know how powerful you are but a Herald is an entirely different level."

"Nothing I say will change your mind," Diluc said on an exhale of exasperation. "Fine. I have a plan, I'll just need to modify it a bit now. But... I can't deny having you with me is a great help. I barely escaped last time as it was. I'll meet you here in two days. That should be plenty of time to put things in motion. And whatever you do, don't say a word to Kaeya about this."

"Our lips are sealed!" Paimon promised, though Aether gave her a side look that said he didn't believe her not to spill anything, giving her past mistakes.

Aether nodded. "I promise."

"Thank you."

Next to Aether, Xiao gave a low hum of annoyance. "Now I see how you get yourself in so much trouble. Whatever. It doesn't matter. I'm here now. I won't let anything happen to you."

With a smile, Aether beamed at Xiao as he took the yaksha's hands in his. "You worry to much. But, thank you. Plus, Diluc's plans pretty much always go his way. Even against a Herald, we have the upper hand."

Xiao pulled his hands free and reached up to pinch at his lovers cheeks with a distinct frown crossing his face. He pinched and pulled as he spoke while Aether squealed in duress. "Oh really? I worry too much? Didn't you just say a Herald is powerful? How can you be so reckless!"