The Countryside Life Course with Ahn Yujin

There is absolutely no ulterior motive behind Yujin's plans. She did not plot a tour around the area to terrorize Wonyoung and perhaps drive her away from the small village. Yujin just knows it'll be good to show the modest younger woman the reality of life before getting to the good part.

As soon as she finishes dressing up as a sad tragedy beside Jang Wonyoung, they begin their day going through the mental bucket list the younger girl has managed to come up with while walking back to her house after an emotional trip at Chaewon's.

***

#1 trees, trees, TREES

"I told you so."

Yujin feels the triumph and her pride skyrocket inside of her. She walks ahead, ignoring the grunts and the curses whispered under hushed breaths coming from the younger woman trekking behind her.

Wonyoung lifts up her left foot out of the snow with much effort and a grumble. "What was I supposed to wear, huh, Ahn?"

That alone makes Yujin smile like an idiot. It surprises her how six years of avoidance all tumbled down so easily within the last sixty minutes they spent walking and hiking up the hill of snow behind Yujin's house. They've managed to abolish everything between them and rebuild them all again. Old habits find their way back, and the next thing Yujin knew, Wonyoung was already calling her by her surname again—the same way she used to call the older girl when they were still 'frenemies' back in college.

"I don't know", Yujin looks back at the younger woman way behind her. "Your boots would've been better."

"Boots don't go along sweatpants and a tee, dumbo."

Yujin tries to be annoyed but really, everything looks like a sitcom for her. Before Wonyoung could even see her at her state of weakness, she looks ahead and scoffs. "Yeah, and 500-dollar shoes just do, huh?"

She walks ahead, easily navigating her way through the thick layer of snow with her efficient snowboots.

Wonyoung only watches behind, praying to the Lord for more patience. If this was Yujin's way of testing her, then so be it.

Two can play this game, Ahn Yujin.

***

The snowy hill, as what Yujin refers to the mound of snowfall behind her house, is where Yujin gets her supply of fallen twigs for her fireplace. It's only a matter of time before she gets cut off from her electricity connection (again, not enough money to pay her notices yet) so this i the number one chore in her list.

Wonyoung's arrival was the perfect timing. Yujin needed as many as possible supply of twigs and with that, she also needed help carrying everything back. So, with two axes in her hands and a grumpy ex behind her, Yujin embarked on the twig-collecting adventure of her life.

***

They arrive at the other side of the hill in a whopping record of thirty-seven minutes—the longest time it took to get to the place. Yujin blames Jang Wonyoung for everything.

"Are you that old?" She snorts, face disgruntled as she watches a breathless Wonyoung emerge from the top of the hill. Yujin waits patiently by the tree trunk. She's managed to climb down ten minutes ago. "I thought idols were supposed to be fit or something?"

"Fuck off."

Wonyoung gets back on her feet and slowly, slowly hikes down the slope of the hill. The moment she arrives a few feet away from Yujin, the younger girl stands back up and hands the ax over, not giving the idol any time to catch her breath.