On Fame, Love, and Life

"This morning, with her, having coffee."
- Johnny Cash,
when asked his definition of paradise.

***

5 years ago.

When Gaeul told her to just come in, Yujin was sure it would be a bad idea.

Out of all their friends, Kim Gaeul had always been the dream-chaser, the most determined woman Yujin ever knew. It was no surprise that Gaeul's parents entrusted her a whole company to run alongside her sister.

At first, Yujin teased her a lot and joked around, calling said company a "start-up", and that Gaeul would basically just man the front desk or something like that, but here is Yujin now, slapped on the face by the expensive interior of the Kim M&J Group lobby, complete with four entrance and exit doors—the automatic swiveling ones—four sets of waiting areas—one of which where Yujin is currently waiting at—and a whole company of security bouncers at all corners.

Yujin has never felt so amazed and embarrassed at the same time. Not only has Gaeul unknowingly shoved her unparalleled success at her face, but she's also very much sticking out like a sour thumb in this place.

Clad in knee-length khaki shorts and a striking I LOVE JAPAN shirt, and her grandmother's old Samsonite travel luggage standing beside her, Yujin realizes then how completely unprepared she is for everything that happens in her life.

"Ya! Ahn Yujin!"

If there's one thing Yujin is thankful of, it's the fact that despite her skyrocketing success in a flick of a finger, Kim Gaeul is still the same old equally-embarrassing loser Yujin knows.

"Ya yourself!" Yujin stands up and greets Gaeul with an excruciating hug. Gaeul smells like business suits and stilletos, and fancy escorts who drive their luxury cars for them. She smells expensive and totally out of Yujin's league.

But they make this work.

Gaeul pulls away with a huff and a playful roll of her eyes. She looks at Yujin from head to toe and lets out the most obnoxious laugh ever. "Ya! Why do you look like a middle-aged tourist?"

It's Yujin's turn to give her a dirty look now. "First of all, this is my grandma's, and second, you didn't tell me you were bringing me..." she leans in closer to whisper, "...to a place like this."

Gaeul chuckles. "Oh, sorry for that." She takes a good look around the lobby, with the good kind of pride plastered on her face and that wide Kim Gaeul™ smile of hers. Yujin will never get enough of that.

When she faces Yujin again, a small frown envelopes her face. "I'm sorry I couldn't just go to you though. It's the end of the month again and the company's booked me with enough meetings as it is."

Yujin smiles. "It's okay, unnie. I needed a change of environment as well."

They exchange a few more jokes—more on how Gaeul's suddenly Sugarmommy worthy now—before Gaeul offers Yujin a tour of the building under her name.

"Let's start with my office and then downwards, yes?" Gaeul grabs Yujin's travel luggage and begins hauling it behind her, much to Yujin's disparity.

They make their way to the elevators—five of them—and to Yujin's not-so-surprise, Gaeul heads for the one elevator alone in the corner, with a huge man guarding beside it and a giant Executive Elevator sign hanging above.

The security guard greets Gaeul with a polite bow and does the same when Yujin approaches behind the CEO-to-be.

In no time, the elevator doors chime and slide open, revealing a glass interior with granite flooring and its very own elevator operator.