The Momentary Happiness

If Wonyoung were to write all the moments where Kim Gaeul proved herself to be a god, the 27-year-old idol would be able to publish a novel series. Gaeul is a woman with all sorts of connections and talents thus her great capacities of moving mountains and parting seas just for the people she loves.

When they were in college, Wonyoung had to fit her training schedule to her daily life routine. She had to wake up earlier than most on certain days to prepare for talent showcases and examinations, and then go home later than most because she also had to be a student who had to graduate university.

Inevitably, at one point in Wonyoung's university life, she hit rock bottom.

She and Yujin were constantly drifting apart and somehow, promises of always being there for each other seemed too hard to hold on to and fulfill, and Wonyoung felt guilt-ridden for lacking in so many ways especially as Yujin's girlfriend.

Everything felt suffocating and Wonyoung felt alone in everything. She had reports due, papers to be submitted but never started on, endless talent showcases to prove herself to, and many more. Wonyoung was on the verge of giving everything up.

And then Gaeul happened.

And the woman, bless her, moved mountains and parted seas, and Wonyoung woke up with no load to carry anymore. Reports and papers were moved to a safer date and encouragements were given for talent showcase preparations.

Gaeul pulled miracles every single time Wonyoung needed one.

At one point, Wonyoung asked her best friend how. "How are you doing all of this? Why me? Why do you constantly save me from everything?" She wasn't ungrateful—hell no—nor was she envious of Gaeul's abilities.

Wonyoung owed Gaeul her everything.

Gaeul, of course, only proves to be the god that she is when she gives Wonyoung the answer she never expected. (She expected Einstein formulas and theories to answer the world's questions, but no.)

"Because I care for your happiness, Wonyo."

And Wonyoung frowns because my happiness? How could her happiness compensate for all the times Gaeul got in trouble just because of her? "And how did you suddenly find fascination over my happiness, huh, Gaeul?" It was a playful question, something to lift the sentimental mood up.

Gaeul didn't play along. "Because I've seen you happy and I never want to forget it."

And then she dives into a dialogue about happiness and how we should learn to appreciate it by going through melancholy.

"I've seen you smile and be happy, but when you started training, everything just began drifting apart. It's hard to continue on with everything trying to carry broken shards of what was once your blissful life. You'll need some help along the way."

She smiles at her best friend.

"I'll be your help along the way."

And so Gaeul keeps her word, even as the years go by and they've graduate from making excuses for research submissions and talent showcases, to facing the real world where there are no excuses left to use anymore.

Gaeul's stayed with her through everything, through hell and back, and even now. As they weave through of a mess of their own lies, all for the sake of keeping hearts from breaking and tears from shedding.

For Wonyoung's happiness—even for just this night—Gaeul lies.

For the sake of Yujin's happiness—even for just this night—Gaeul lies.

***

After the phone call with Yuri, Gaeul manages to persuade everyone into continuing with the game despite budding protests of Chaewon who is itching to play her cooking games and Liz, who is expecting a video call with her American manager regarding the New York Fashion Week.