¹⁰

TRIGGER WARNING // sensitive subjects are dealt with in this chapter. These include talks of cancer; health conditions; personal trauma.

Bonnie sits on the balcony outside the 3rd floor cafeteria, leaning on the railing as she thinks over what Nancy said. She really really wishes she could just let Mark in but it's hard. Dating has changed since she was growing up and she experienced that a few times a while ago. She tried dating a handful of times, about 2 or so years after Dac, but it never turned out okay. She got hurt or she hurt them. Men, women, non binary - no one felt right to her.

She sighs deeply and pulls her phone out as it vibrates. "Hello?"

"How do you feel about a visit from your favourite little sister?"

Bonnie smiles wide. "Poppy!"

Her sister giggles. "Hey stranger. So how about it?"

Bonnie rolls her eyes but can't help grinning. "I'd love a visit. Yes! And don't start, I have 3 sisters - I hate you all."

Poppy laughs. "No you don't. Okay, so here's the thing - I'm in town."

Bonnie raises an eyebrow. "Already? Huh... okay, I should finish shift at 6, wanna meet me after? We can get food."

"Absolutely. Love you, Bon."

"Love you too." She hangs up and sighs. Uh oh. Last time Poppy visited it wasn't... Great news. She heads inside.

Mark spots her walking down a hallway and goes to duck down another. She spots him, however. "Mark Everett Sloan, stop." She says sternly.

He sighs and digs his hands in his pockets. "I have nothing to say."

"I do." Bonnie says, walking in front of him. She sighs and looks up at him. "I want us to talk about this. But I'm asking for a little time. Please? Give me a few days and we can... we can talk about the dating thing."

Mark raises an eyebrow. "That's a sudden change of heart." He rocks on his heels.

Bonnie smiles small. "I know. And I will explain but I have to meet my sister Poppy tonight. Can we meet for breakfast? We're both on lates tomorrow, right?"

"I'm not anymore, I changed it to uh to avoid you... but I don't have a surgery scheduled until 10 so I can meet you before. I didn't know you had a sister." He admits.

Bonnie smiles small. "Okay. Good. I'll text you okay? Just don't ignore me anymore. Please. And I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers."

Mark nods small. "Wow. Okay. Have fun."

Bonnie smiles small and kisses his cheek before she heads off. Mark watches her go before he continues heading to find Derek, his friend stood eyeing the OR board. "Bonnie has sisters?"

"Yeah, 3. All younger." Derek says, looking over. "Why? Are you guys talking?" He asks hopeful.

"Yes... no. I don't know. She said she's going for dinner with her sister." Mark shrugs looking at the board.

"Which one?"

Mark shrugs. "I dunno."

"Poppy, Megan or Henny."

Mark raises an eyebrow. "Um Poppy rings a bell? We're... we're going to meet for breakfast tomorrow and talk."

"Oh yeah, she'll wanna have a big heart to heart with Pop. It's been a while since they saw each other face to face and a lot has happened in her family lately." Derek nods.

"She never said..." Mark frowns.

"Because she's private. She doesn't like burdening people with her problems, you know that." Derek smiles small. "If it's Poppy, she's probably nervous. Pop had breast cancer last year, she's only 27."